IC Shutters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

2018RubyRed

Reaction score
Doing a little data logging, for curiosity and a comparison for when I do the cobb front mount, the shutters in front of the intercooler only seem to open under a good load (pulling long hills, no towing log yet) and when the charge temp starts getting around 120-130F area. Sometimes they will start to open in stopped traffic and open up on initial acceleration and then close back up

OP
OP
K223

K223

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Doing a little data logging, for curiosity and a comparison for when I do the cobb front mount, the shutters in front of the intercooler only seem to open under a good load (pulling long hills, no towing log yet) and when the charge temp starts getting around 120-130F area. Sometimes they will start to open in stopped traffic and open up on initial acceleration and then close back up

Wow that’s interesting and dissapointing at the same time. What was the ambient outdoor temperature you logged under? Can you tell if the fans engaged? If the shutters were closed most of the time, I gather they did not.

Fords strategy is obviously not geared for creating extra power, but enough. I gather it’s related to fuel economy and emissions more than anything else. Otherwise why not get that charge as cool as possibly for more power. Obviously that air temp is enough to produce maximum HP.

2018RubyRed

Reaction score
I did not monitor fans so I can't give you anything on that. I can't imagine them opening when the shutters are closed or when there is decent speed going on. I didn't really notice a difference with ambient temps

RaptorVette

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I took mine out after I installed the CVF intercooler and tune. The shutters had bug guts on them which tells me they were closed on the highway. No data to support, but the manifold temps overall are significantly lower since I removed them.

OP
OP
K223

K223

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I took mine out after I installed the CVF intercooler and tune. The shutters had bug guts on them which tells me they were closed on the highway. No data to support, but the manifold temps overall are significantly lower since I removed them.

Based on what I’m hearing and you had big guts. It appears the shutters are closed more than they are opened. Did you leave the motor intact to avoid DTC’s? Just removed the shutters themselves?

So the before and after with the shutters was dramatic. A lot more so I take it then just the CVF added?

Oldfart

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Based on what I’m hearing and you had big guts. It appears the shutters are closed more than they are opened. Did you leave the motor intact to avoid DTC’s? Just removed the shutters themselves?

So the before and after with the shutters was dramatic. A lot more so I take it then just the CVF added?

How do you know RaptorVette has a big gut? That seems a little rude!!!

RaptorVette

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Yes, left the motors. Just pulled the shutters out. It lowered temps another 10 degrees or so on top of the intercooler. The manifold temps are always within 20 degrees of the intake temp. Under boost the temps drop to 10 degree difference. With the shutters and CVF there was still a 30 degree or more until I got into boost.

OP
OP
K223

K223

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Yes, left the motors. Just pulled the shutters out. It lowered temps another 10 degrees or so on top of the intercooler. The manifold temps are always within 20 degrees of the intake temp. Under boost the temps drop to 10 degree difference. With the shutters and CVF there was still a 30 degree or more until I got into boost.

Great feedback! That says a lot in regards to the new IC and shutter removal. Looks like another nice gain in reduced temps over the new IC alone. Pretty interesting.