IC Shutters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Wow that’s interesting and dissapointing at the same time. What was the ambient outdoor temperature you logged under? Can you tell if the fans engaged? If the shutters were closed most of the time, I gather they did not.

Fords strategy is obviously not geared for creating extra power, but enough. I gather it’s related to fuel economy and emissions more than anything else. Otherwise why not get that charge as cool as possibly for more power. Obviously that air temp is enough to produce maximum HP.

It’s a delicate balance. In Gen 1 EcoBoost trucks, the intercooler was so efficient that water would condense and build up in intercooler. When the customer would accelerate aggressively, the moisture was drawn into the engine and caused sputtering and misfires. Ford had to release a TSB to resolve the issue. All systems have a targeted temperature range for ideal (emissions, fuel economy, performance) operation. My guess would be that the PCM grille shutter strategy is designed to keep charge temps within a specific threshold, hence the shutter movement that was observed. Personally, I’d prefer to have full airflow across the CAC regardless of conditions.

OP
OP
K223

K223

FRF Addict
Reaction score
You can just pry the plastic grill off from the outside. Pull each shutter one at a time. You'll see how they come out.

I also need to mention that I DO NOT have a license plate in front of the grill.

This is cruising on the highway with ambient temp 82 degrees.

View attachment 156014

View attachment 156015

View attachment 156016

Cool! No license plates up front in FL thank god.

Since the shutters can come off or go back probably as easy, it’s worth some experimentation. But I’m pretty sure of the result as you mentioned. Big help on the info thanks.

OP
OP
K223

K223

FRF Addict
Reaction score
It’s a delicate balance. In Gen 1 EcoBoost trucks, the intercooler was so efficient that water would condense and build up in intercooler. When the customer would accelerate aggressively, the moisture was drawn into the engine and caused sputtering and misfires. Ford had to release a TSB to resolve the issue. All systems have a targeted temperature range for ideal (emissions, fuel economy, performance) operation. My guess would be that the PCM grille shutter strategy is designed to keep charge temps within a specific threshold, hence the shutter movement that was observed. Personally, I’d prefer to have full airflow across the CAC regardless of conditions.

That’s some interesting info. Since I know an OEM has to produce a vehicle to survive, perform, meet emissions and make mileage in various national conditions, There will be limitations in other ways. One has to realize this, but most do.

Now building up condensation in the heat exchanger would be more a problem in colder climates correct? So a redesign of the IC and the employment of shutters certainly would solve that.

But if you know you live in a hotter environment and your always fighting heat, then as you said the more air you can have constantly pass through the IC the better to allow the engine to develop its max power.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
That’s some interesting info. Since I know an OEM has to produce a vehicle to survive, perform, meet emissions and make mileage in various national conditions, There will be limitations in other ways. One has to realize this, but most do.

Now building up condensation in the heat exchanger would be more a problem in colder climates correct? So a redesign of the IC and the employment of shutters certainly would solve that.

But if you know you live in a hotter environment and your always fighting heat, then as you said the more air you can have constantly pass through the IC the better to allow the engine to develop its max power.

Yes, exactly. The issue tended to affect vehicles in humid or damp conditions.

sixshooter_45

2019 Ruby Red Metallic SC, 3.5 L Twin Turbos.
Reaction score
Yes, left the motors. Just pulled the shutters out. It lowered temps another 10 degrees or so on top of the intercooler. The manifold temps are always within 20 degrees of the intake temp. Under boost the temps drop to 10 degree difference. With the shutters and CVF there was still a 30 degree or more until I got into boost.

So do the fans get removed also or were you able to leave them in.