I was "that guy" today driving "too fast" in the snow

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

84 Sheepdog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
These trucks are a blast in the snow, had a great time driving it in the rare Texas "blizzard" this week. I'm not a native Texan; grew up learning to drive in Kansas and Colorado so I keep my distance from everyone else down here when we get any ice or snow like this. The other trucks I've owned feel light in the back on snow and ice, not sure if it's the shorter wheelbase or what but the Raptor does not. My wife had a blast in her Audi going to/from work this week too. She's a nurse so we had to get her to work in this mess. Those Audi's with the real quattro system and snow/true all season tires are a beast in snow and ice also.

Muchmore

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Those Audi's with the real quattro system and snow/true all season tires are a beast in snow and ice also.

We gave my son a choice of used cars for a high school graduation gift, kinda military/college reliable transportation after driving a POS all through high school. He found a 2015 Audi A6 Quattro 2.0T, one owner with 76k for $12,900. I couldn't believe he wanted a sedan over a truck. This thing ROCKS in the snow! It has Conti's on it with low mileage and it rips right along!

Sonicsunspot

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We gave my son a choice of used cars for a high school graduation gift, kinda military/college reliable transportation after driving a POS all through high school. He found a 2015 Audi A6 Quattro 2.0T, one owner with 76k for $12,900. I couldn't believe he wanted a sedan over a truck. This thing ROCKS in the snow! It has Conti's on it with low mileage and it rips right along!
Quattro's have always been great in the snow. I am an older dude, but it seems like they were the first production all wheel drive car that I remember seeing. There is probably some other car there first, but they were the first to really go after the mode.

Badgertits

FRF Addict
Reaction score
No - simply put you want to keep as much distance away from any other vehicles on the road as possible in bad weather conditions - soooooo many times I've seen like a dozen car pile up w/ parked cars getting dinged up too in the process when a caravan of FWD, bald all season running sedans w/ 2" of ground clearance get into a cluster F mess in the snow - even if you're driving perfectly fine & have total control of your vehicle you can't do anything about the idiot careening toward you sliding sideways w/ zero ability to stop or turn - better practice is to keep em at a distance or not around at all to begin with

I run in this situation even more so running Nokian snow tires on my rig......the snow AND the ice is not an issue - traction is ridiculous, easily pass plow trucks in 8" of heavy snow/slush while doing 60-70mph - IN CONTROL - slam on brakes @ that speed, little ABS action, stability/traction control kick in if needed (if I have em both on lol) & the truck just comes to a stop - no sideways nonsense, no rear end getting squirrely, none of it - just stops in a lil longer distance than normal.

So I am routinely passing the white knucklers all over the place - in reality safer for me & them

amREADY

Full Access Member
Reaction score
nobody ever pulls over anymore. people dont have the common sense to think when the see a long line of cars. i was in a 3 lane highway (one direction) in a snow storm and everyone piled in to make a 2 lane highway. everyone was behind the snow plow going 15-20 mph. i pulled to the right shoulder passed 50-60 cars and passed the snow plow. 40 was a safe speed for me. i looked in my mirror and all the trucks and awd vehicles follwed suite.

same move here.

Lupa

Reaction score
I was coming from Denver to South Carolina this past weekend and on Sunday morning we got just east of Nashville and hit black ice. Several tractor trailers jack knifed and crashed cars everywhere. I changed lanes at about 40 mph and we almost spun out. I told my wife to pull out the raptor manual and find a driving mode to change the truck into. She said "try the mode that looks like a snow flake, it's for slippery roads". My God, after putting it in that mode it felt like the truck was magnetized to the road. Very impressive

MrGable27

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had to go to a lunch meeting and was late. roads were still packed snow covered, but I could go the speed limit.

Most of the people were still not on the road, but every now and then I came across people in their camrey or accords who didnt know how to drive and were doing 15-25 when i wanted to go 45. 2 lane state higway.

I got flipped off several times when they finally pulled to the side so i could pass.

What is a guy to do. I have good tires, a great truck and I actually know how to drive in the snow. Should I just resign myself to drive as slow as the others around me?

Honestly, if you drive a Raptor you should just accept that people are going to flip you off constantly. You get used to it, trust me

XCReapor

Reaction score
Don't blame ya, when it comes to driving in snow with these things it's an unfair advantage we have with these beasts!

MORaptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Biggest issue I see during my morning commute, most of the Honda's & Camry's are looking out through a 4" windshield as that is all they scraped. Defrost and wipers are not going to jack when it is below zero, at least until you drive for 20 minutes. These are the A-Holes slowing down both lanes of the local 4 lane road...