I’m an idiot. Now my truck won’t start

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TrailRunner

Reaction score
Hey everyone, I’m have trouble getting my 2012 to start… probably simple but I’m at my wits end.

I picked up my mom from the airport today and drove home with the windows down. We got home and I shut off the engine but she opened the door before I could roll up the windows so I turned the key to “start” to roll them up. I forgot to turn the key back to “off” when I was helping her get her bags in the house. Came back later in the afternoon and the truck wouldn’t start. Too easy… I figured I’d just jump start it. Not the first time I’ve jumped a car but this time it wasn’t working after trying two good vehicles and two sets of jumper cables.

Disconnected/reconnected the battery but now the check engine light is on and I’m getting the following codes from my SCT programmer:

P1636 - Inductive signature chip communication error
P2107 - Throttle actuator control module
U0422 - Invalid data from body control module

All codes seem to be electronic related. Windows and exterior/interior lights seem to be working. Solenoid seems to be firing, but the starter won’t crank. Any ideas how I ruined the first day of my mom’s trip to SD? Is this serious? Any suggestions for getting this thing running??

Last edited:
OP
OP
TrailRunner

TrailRunner

Reaction score
Put a good charger on the battery. See if that fixes the issue(s).
Put a good -charge- on the battery? It should be good. The battery is good and always cranks. I charged it for a good 15-20 min with two other good vehicles. I observed small sparks when I reconnected the battery after disconnecting it in an attempt to reset the electronics. So the voltage SHOULD be good… I’m about to find my old multimeter which I trust about as much as month-old milk.

Maybe put the shifter in neutral and see.

No dice. Something interesting I noticed tho is that the starter was firing the solenoid but not cranking…NOW the starter will grunt once then nothing, much more similar to my experience with a dead battery. Except that all of the lights/electronics seem to be working just fine.

My next thought is to test the battery voltage with a multimeter and start replacing fuses?? Either way, looks like I’m taking the TJ to work tomorrow…

OP
OP
TrailRunner

TrailRunner

Reaction score
Maybe clear the codes, and retry.
Codes cleared. Still nothing.

Ran the jeep so long that the neighbors complained while I was trying to charge the battery. It hasn’t had any of the typical issues I’m used to seeing with a dying cell but I’ll replace it tomorrow/this weekend and see what happens. Thanks for the suggestions everyone!