I’m an idiot. Now my truck won’t start

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Penny

Reaction score
I just had that issue with mine and mine was the wire harness. It got burnt when it touched the manifold.

r8ders

Reaction score
Is it the original battery because it sounds like the battery needs to be replaced. It may have enough charge to power the accessories but not enough amps to turn over the starter. As others have noted, pull the battery and take it to O'reilly or AutoZone and have them test it.

WHBD

Reaction score
I'd agree, most likely the battery is on it's last legs. I've had luck pounding on a starter with a mallet a couple times...that will usually get it to work for a while...if it is a starter issue.

OP
OP
TrailRunner

TrailRunner

Reaction score
Planning to take the battery to get tested this evening. Hopefully it’s a quick battery swap.

I just had that issue with mine and mine was the wire harness. It got burnt when it touched the manifold.

I’m concerned that I might be dealing with something similar. I’ve encountered several unpleasant surprises with this truck over the past 16 months due to the previous owner. How much did it cost to fix the wiring harness?

Ruger

FRF Addict
Reaction score
This may be helpful:
Note that the battery is recharged with a battery charger before it is tested.

In response to a Google inquiry on whether a discharged battery can be tested, I got this response:
"Partially or fully-discharged batteries may not provide accurate test results, so you'll need to at least attempt to fully-charge it before having a load test done."

SoCal M

Reaction score
Crawl under the truck and jump the starter manually. Does it turn over? My 2012 randomly stopped starting when everything was fine so i did the manual bit and it fired right up. Removed the starter and found that the solenoid power connection "rivets" were loose. The new starter i bought had them SOLDERED-solved the problem. Good luck, they are a bitch to replace

Penny

Reaction score
Planning to take the battery to get tested this evening. Hopefully it’s a quick battery swap.

I’m concerned that I might be dealing with something similar. I’ve encountered several unpleasant surprises with this truck over the past 16 months due to the previous owner. How much did it cost to fix the wiring harness?
702 plus tax. Not too bad