I’m an idiot. Now my truck won’t start

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Shane361

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Was reading the comments going dead cell and then came to your dead cell post. It happened to me so it thought that might be the issue. Not before I changed out the starter to no avail...I was young. Glad you got it fixed.

GeorgeSL

Reaction score
Had a few no starts. Just click. Replaced battery. A week later, no start, just click. Concluding by previous posts, the solenoid is attached to the starter making it one component. Am I correct?

WNCHSTR96

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Had a few no starts. Just click. Replaced battery. A week later, no start, just click. Concluding by previous posts, the solenoid is attached to the starter making it one component. Am I correct?
I had a similar experience after replacing a dead battery, turns out it was the park indicator switch, which leaves on the dash lights and drains the battery because it doesn’t recognize the the truck is in Park. A quick check is to see if you have an orange P when it’s in park (& the dash lights never turn off). If it’s white you need to replace the switch, which can easily be found on EBay. Ford will tell you they have to replace the whole shifter to fix it. ($750 shifter vs $25 switch)

rschap1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Congrats on the fix.
Just replaced my battery a couple days ago.
It was doing well last fall and over winter storage.
But started hard then had to use a booster pack when it came time to get it out of the garage.
Saw previous owner wrote purchase date on top, 2018.
Figured it was time.

03Cobraraptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hearing stories like this confirms by decision in proactively changing my battery with an odyssey before I get stranded at the most inopportune time.

dj30417

XX drive an OG Raptor and a Winnie
Reaction score
My old battery was testing fine but I had to be jumped twice before I decided to get a new battery. Like most of you, everything electronic would work but the truck would not crank.

WNCHSTR96

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is it just me or are batteries just not being made to last anymore. When I was a kid, my Dad swore by Die Hard, and they would last 12 years or more. Now I’m lucky to get 5 years out of one. Oh, and I haven’t used Die Hard since the early 90’s, I was just using them as an example. I’m sure it has nothing to do with them being lighter than they use to be, lol. Wonder if it’s EPA related, or they purposely make them not last so you have to buy more often? So do these high dollar Odyssey batteries last as long as they state? (10 years?)

Oldfart

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Is it just me or are batteries just not being made to last anymore. When I was a kid, my Dad swore by Die Hard, and they would last 12 years or more. Now I’m lucky to get 5 years out of one. Oh, and I haven’t used Die Hard since the early 90’s, I was just using them as an example. I’m sure it has nothing to do with them being lighter than they use to be, lol. Wonder if it’s EPA related, or they purposely make them not last so you have to buy more often? So do these high dollar Odyssey batteries last as long as they state? (10 years?)
It's from climate change.