How to increase gas mileage

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jdowens1

Ford Senior Master Technician
Reaction score
Not sure if anyone has said before. but tape an egg to the gas pedal and if you break it then your pushing to hard that should help get some better mileage!

xXCarlisleXx

Reaction score
Honestly Im surprised no one has suggested it but Re Gearing could give you a pretty nice improvement wouldnt it?...Would be a dog everytime you romped on it but your fuel economy would Increase.

SPRSNK

I Void Warranties
Supporting Member
Reaction score
On the first leg of this road trip I averaged 14.2mpg with cruise control set at 75mph. The headwind into West Texas (and probably the ****** air quality from the fires) knocked me down to 13.5mpg with cruise control set at 85mph. I am back up to 13.6mpg now. 2400 miles so far. Another 1400 miles to go this week. This average also includes 400 miles of desert running and rock crawling :)

yomudderputter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
On my 6.2 my average is 13.3. I always use cruise. Bye the way I just hit the 13.3. I was a bit shocked. But the gas price is at $4.45 so it's all relative. Can't I catch a freaked break?

jesse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
after i did a couple of mods, it went from 14MPG to about 17 to 18MPG highway..I am at a high elevation and i am running the 5.4L. A couple of people i know have the 6.2L and they are hard pressed to get 14 out here..with mods and all. But like what was said, if you want 20MPG, get a different truck.

Sid-X

Reaction score
Hey, new guy here. I just put 1000 miles on my new 2011 S Crew. I seriously love this truck. I'm not too worried about mpg in my trucks but I have a 45 minute commute 3-4 times a week and have been playing the MPG game with my trucks for years just for fun. So far within that 45 minutes on a very flat road with Premium fuel, @ 65 MPH I can easily get 18.5 mpg if I do what I call "sailing" basically driving with as gentle throttle inputs as I can. I just put a backflip cover on my bed and a Thule roof rack on and expected to get worse milage but actually was getting a consistent 19.8 mpg on the same drive last night. Of course I only have 1000 miles on it so we will see if that remains consistent.

In my former truck, a '08 Sierra Denali with the 6.2 I was getting 21 mpg on the same route up from 18 by simply over-inflating the tires by 5 psi, adding a K&N filter and a bed cover. They advertised the '09 Hybrid Sierra at only 22!

You can start by doing simple things like keep extra weight out of your truck, keep the exterior clean as possible (no racks, light-bars, machine guns) to reduce wind-drag, don't fill the tank all the way unless you need too (fuel is heavy) When you replace your tires look for a lighter set to reduce unsprung weight. I hear the BFGs are heavy.

I bought this truck because of what it is though and I drive it as such. Most of the time I just ignore the MPGs drop the hammer and have fun with it. If you really need to save fuel I would get a cheap commuter car and save the Raptor for the fun stuff. Commuting with it is really like using a machete to spread butter anyway.

Hope that helps