How many quarts does it really take?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MTF

FRF Addict
Reaction score
If you change the oil with a hot engine, and let it drain for a long time, say half hour, two to three beers while BS'ing with the neighbors.

More oil will drain out from the cooler, pump, and nooks and crannies and the pan.
I have been doing 7 1/2 quarts. 3/4 to 7/8 full on the stick.

If you really want all the oil out you can crank her but not start her up and you'll see more starting to drip out.

Last edited:

Nick@Apollo-Optics

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
If you change the oil with a hot engine, and let it drain for a long time, say half hour, two to three beers while BS'ing with the neighbors.

More oil will drain out from the cooler, pump, and nooks and crannies and the pan.
I have been doing 7 1/2 quarts. 3/4 to 7/8 full on the stick.

If you really want all the oil out you can crank her but not start her up and you'll see more starting to drip out.

You can't crank and not start the truck. Next time you get in your truck, put the key in and hold it on start for a 1/2 second...truck will crank for 1-2 seconds and start without you holding it down. I would not recommend this.

Ruger

FRF Addict
Reaction score
You can't crank and not start the truck. Next time you get in your truck, put the key in and hold it on start for a 1/2 second...truck will crank for 1-2 seconds and start without you holding it down. I would not recommend this.

Nor would I. I do that on with my Buell with the fuel petcock off, but there's no such luxury on any FI vehicle.