How many quarts does it really take?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Raptor2013

Reaction score
It's definitely strange for sure ruger. Next time I change the oil I'm going to only put 7 in it as I am worried too about over filling it.

Ruger

FRF Addict
Reaction score
FWIW, I've got nearly 40K on the odo. Nobody but me has changed the oil in my Raptor, and I don't even bother to check the dipstick after I've dumped 7 quarts into the crankcase. I just got back from a high speed run from Alabama to Nevada and back - 4600 miles of mostly 75+ mph travel. There has been not the smallest hint of complaint from under the hood.

I do have a hint for those who change their own oil. Pull the plug on the crankcase and let it drain. When it's done draining, replace the plug finger tight and pull the filter. Let that drain. Mount the new filter, and then pull the plug on the crankcase again. It will drain more dirty oil. Pulling the filter releases some oil in some oil galleries. If you don't drain it you will have succeeded in contaminating your new expensive oil with a fair quantity of residual dirty oil.

Here's another hint. Do not mount the new filter dry. Prime it with new oil. You can't fully prime it because it's mounted horizontally, but you can still do a good job of priming it. Why do this? Because your engine will not circulate oil and there will be no oil pressure until the filter is full. Priming it cuts way down on the amount of time your engine runs with no oil pressure when you first start up the engine after your oil change. I have followed this technique with every truck, car and motorcycle I have ever known with good success. I ran my 1986 1/2 Nissan D21 Hardbody 2400cc 4-banger 4x4 for 19.5 years and never had an engine problem.

Words to the wise, gents.

Last edited:

Nick@Apollo-Optics

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
FWIW, I've got nearly 40K on the odo. Nobody but me has changed the oil in my Raptor, and I don't even bother to check the dipstick after I've dumped 7 quarts into the crankcase. I just got back from a high speed run from Alabama to Nevada and back - 4600 miles of mostly 75+ mph travel. There has been not the smallest hint of complaint from under the hood.

I do have a hint for those who change their own oil. Pull the plug on the crankcase and let it drain. When it's done draining, replace the plug finger tight and pull the filter. Let that drain. Mount the new filter, and then pull the plug on the crankcase again. It will drain more dirty oil. Pulling the filter releases some oil in some oil galleries. If you don't drain it you will have succeeded in contaminating your new expensive oil with a fair quantity of residual dirty oil.

Here's another hint. Do not mount the new filter dry. Prime it with new oil. You can't fully prime it because it's mounted horizontally, but you can still do a good job of priming it. Why do this? Because your engine will not circulate oil and there will be no oil pressure until the filter is full. Priming it cuts way down on the amount of time your engine runs with no oil pressure when you first start up the engine after your oil change. I have followed this technique with every truck, car and motorcycle I have ever known with good success. I ran my 1986 1/2 Nissan D21 Hardbody 2400cc 4-banger 4x4 for 19.5 years and never had an engine problem.

Words to the wise, gents.

Good advice here. I've never used your technique for replacing the plug, then dumping the filter, and then pulling the plug out again. I'll have to try it when I change my oil.

Also, when priming your new filter, how much oil are you using due to the mounting position? 1/4 full? 1/3 full? I haven't done a change yet on the new truck so I'm not sure what it can take without spilling.

Ruger

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I put as much in as I can, but not enough so that it'll spill out. The filter element will absorb quite a bit. Roll it around so that the filter is saturated, and then add as much as you can without it spilling when you turn it horizontal for a second.

You don't think I measure it, do ya? (I cook the same way.)

Last edited:

Nick@Apollo-Optics

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I put as much in as I can, but not enough so that it'll spill out. The filter will absorb quite a bit. Roll it around so that the filter is saturated, and then add as much as you can without it spilling when you turn it horizontal for a second.

Hahaha...I was looking for a rough estimate I suppose.

Chris@FreedomMotorsports

FRF Gofur
Supporting Vendor
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I put as much in as I can, but not enough so that it'll spill out. The filter will absorb quite a bit. Roll it around so that the filter is saturated, and then add as much as you can without it spilling when you turn it horizontal for a second.

He is actually dead on. The filter will hold up to about a half a quart of oil. But it will look as if it is filling qiucker without the swirling it a bit to allow the oil to soak into the filter. I would get the filter out and put fresh oil in it first and allow it to soak as you drain the pan and remove the old filter. Doing so allows time for the filter to get good and saturated.

Slowly fill the filter to about 1/2-3/4 full and let stand (supported), once saturated it shouldn't spill too much during installation. Make sure to apply a little oil to the black gasket part of the "o-ring" of the filter.

Ruger

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I think perhaps we should use a pipette and put 650.5 ml in the filter to prime it.:rotflmao:

Really, just eyeball the thing. There's no substitute for good human judgment.

Evanscott29

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ruger, that amount you pour in the filter goes to the total I am assuming? I grew up changing my own oil as well but have never done the 2 tricks you specified above. But then again my family never had any super nice cars, my parents thought of cars more as a means to get around and not a statement. But then again we never had any engine issues in any of the vehicles using conventional and changing it every 4-5k.

Ruger

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Evan,
Yup, 7 quarts total including the amount used to prime the filter. These are simple things that have a cumulative positive effect over time, cost nothing, and are neither time consuming nor difficult.