How Long Can/Will Your Gen1 Last?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Gary E

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The basic truck is an f150, so there are literally millions to pull all the little wear items out of for the next 50 years. The engines are still in production in the super duty line so good blocks will be available long after we are all gone. Any body part that isn't shared with a regular F150 is a composite and will never rust away, except the front bumper and skid which aren't likely to rust through. I guess if something like ball joints were to cease production and the current stock ran out it could be a problem but I don't see that either. Shocks are rebuildable and upgrades available through the aftermarket. By the time parts are hard to come by this will be a classic and repops will be available. I see no reason to think this could be someones only truck for the rest of their life. Do a full refresh once a decade and it will be golden.

Two of my 4 vechicles have over 300k on them, engines and trans have been replaced, things have been gone through but thanks to some modern bits and pieces they both drive better than stock and I would have no issue taking them from Denver to Florida.... rather take the raptor though :)

"...I see no reason to think this could be someones only truck for the rest of their life..."
Isn't that the opposite to what you are saying?

Swacer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd like to keep the truck for the long term. I've even debated dumping my cammed camaro for an ecoboost flex or something to remove the truck from DD duty. PA winters are not kind.

COBRA90GT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Survey says:

Until the sunroof leaks. Until the rear sliding glass window explodes. Until the shocks need a rebuild. Until the frame bends from "sending it." Until a leaky IWE system destroys the hubs/actuators. Until the rockers rust/rot out. And finally, until fuel pump fuse #27 burns up.

Feel free to add more ! :)

B E N

FRF Addict
Reaction score
All the talk about leaky IWE, I guess replacing those lines will move up the priority list.

Rear window easy, you can get a non slider for around $179 and never worry about it again, one man install.

I love my sunroof but I really hope it doesn't fail, no really good easy fix for it.

Rockers: Clean them, undercoat them, clean them every oil change!

fuse 27 relocation is under $20 and a half hour of time... Why would you not just prevent this?

COBRA90GT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's all good :) - I see you're relatively "newer" around here & missed the sarcastic tone in my post about some of the common issues 1st gens sometimes have to endure. =) @B E N

GaFFLe

Reaction score
Engine and tranny/driveline should last a while if you're not an idiot.

BUT..as is true with all vehicles, the rest of the truck will fall apart around it. All the little annoying things will fail.

I generally keep a vehicle until it becomes a reliability issue, or maintenance headache, generally 10-12 yrs. Mileage has never been a factor. Both my diesels (ford and dodge) still ran well with 175k miles but all the peripheral crap started to go out. AC, windows, speakers, door locks, alternators...stuff like that.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
This is my dilemma. I had a Land Rover LR3 that was a maintenance nightmare and swore to never purchase poor a reputation vehicle again. My next vehicle will be a 2020 Raptor or Toyota Landcruiser.

matrix243

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Depends what you mean by last. Like use it till something goes wrong and then sell it or use it till something goes wrong, solve the problem and live life.