How Long Can/Will Your Gen1 Last?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Anthony k

Full Access Member
Reaction score
3CDAC755-3433-48C4-9399-D3C0ABF04673.jpeg

This has been on the road 50 years........ so unless my truck gets totaled, hurricaned, tornadoed or used as a F shack by dirty mike n the boyz
It will be around

I've started other threads on this part of the forum (I'm a proud Gen2 owner) because I love the Gen 1, always have.

How long do you guys expect your Gen1 to continue to roll down the highway? I'm sure you love yours and would hate to see its demise one day.

I realize nothing lasts forever. We all do.

But I got to thinking (which can be dangerous lol) with Ford stopping production of most sedans. There was a time when it seemed as if every other car (I'm going back to when I was a kid in the '60s) was an Impala. Fast forward to perhaps the '90s and the Taurus was ubiquitous. In fact, when I spotted a SHO Taurus, I'd get a woody. Now, a Taurus is a rare sighting. I'm not sure where they all went, but it must be to car heaven. (or Cuba.)

So for those of you for whom your Gen1 is a DD, with high miles, do you plan on keeping it until the pieces literally fall off, or do you think with proper maintenance and the awesome V8, It can literally last for another 10 or more years and you have every intention of keeping it that long?

Thanks for your time. As I say, I'm a huge Gen1 fan and so have a lot of interest in it and its owners.

WNCHSTR96

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, no more red ring, will replace it later... Where do get these red ring ?

I use Castrol oil. My regular maintenance is engine oil and oil filter change, the canister purge valve.
I will do a big maintenance at the end of the year : engine oil, oil filter, rear and front diff, transmission oil and filter
https://www.builtrightind.com/products/ford-raptor-replacement-red-stripe You can google Ford Raptor red stripe replacement and they have a video on how to do the replacement

weaponized

Reaction score
Engine and tranny/driveline should last a while if you're not an idiot.

BUT..as is true with all vehicles, the rest of the truck will fall apart around it. All the little annoying things will fail.

I generally keep a vehicle until it becomes a reliability issue, or maintenance headache, generally 10-12 yrs. Mileage has never been a factor. Both my diesels (ford and dodge) still ran well with 175k miles but all the peripheral crap started to go out. AC, windows, speakers, door locks, alternators...stuff like that.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

JMIB99

Reaction score
What an awesome post topic.

I currently drive a 2014 Ruby Raptor with 62k miles.
Selling it Monday for a little... "Upgrade."

2013 Red Raptor, Roush Edition with 58k miles. JDM tune/tuner included for when I get "bored" with that. I'm so excited to finally get a supercharged Raptor. I want that smile on my face that I always see on people's faces on YouTube. I want to keep this truck forever. (In fact, I may have to with all the convincing it took to get my wife to agree to this... Lol!)

Congrats on convincing the wife for the "upgrade". I got my wife to buy in on me getting a '12 to '14 Gen 1, as long as I stay under $40k. Just wondering, what did you get for the '14 you sold.

Roush2012

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just hit 119,000 and still drive it like it was made to do. We go offroad a lot and put it through abuse that I’d swear would bust a tie rod or balljoint and every time it amazes me I drive it home. It’s my daily driver too and love every minute that I’m in it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TK421

Reaction score
My gen 1 13’ has been doing good. I drive the **** out of it.

But after that whole transmission recall with the new software update months ago, they installed the wrong software and I had to go back after getting a letter from ford. Then shirt you after I had them service the trans as it was starting to get dark. Now the transmission is acting like it’s going out. Shifts incredibly hard from 2nd - 3rd gear and 3rd-4th slams. Also hearing a horrible grinding noise up front if i blip the throttle trying to battle into the carpool lane in rush hour traffic. It can’t be the IWE because I’ve removed all that and it’s solid now.

other then the crappy gas mileage and transmission acting weird it’s been a good truck. Just hit 89k

Gary E

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My gen 1 13’ has been doing good. I drive the **** out of it.

But after that whole transmission recall with the new software update months ago, they installed the wrong software and I had to go back after getting a letter from ford. Then shirt you after I had them service the trans as it was starting to get dark. Now the transmission is acting like it’s going out. Shifts incredibly hard from 2nd - 3rd gear and 3rd-4th slams. Also hearing a horrible grinding noise up front if i blip the throttle trying to battle into the carpool lane in rush hour traffic. It can’t be the IWE because I’ve removed all that and it’s solid now.

other then the crappy gas mileage and transmission acting weird it’s been a good truck. Just hit 89k

Maybe it's because you drive "the **** out of it".

B E N

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The basic truck is an f150, so there are literally millions to pull all the little wear items out of for the next 50 years. The engines are still in production in the super duty line so good blocks will be available long after we are all gone. Any body part that isn't shared with a regular F150 is a composite and will never rust away, except the front bumper and skid which aren't likely to rust through. I guess if something like ball joints were to cease production and the current stock ran out it could be a problem but I don't see that either. Shocks are rebuildable and upgrades available through the aftermarket. By the time parts are hard to come by this will be a classic and repops will be available. I see no reason to think this could not be someones only truck for the rest of their life. Do a full refresh once a decade and it will be golden.

Two of my 4 vechicles have over 300k on them, engines and trans have been replaced, things have been gone through but thanks to some modern bits and pieces they both drive better than stock and I would have no issue taking them from Denver to Florida.... rather take the raptor though :)

Last edited: