How is Ford going to deliver on the Gen 3 Raptor with this chip shortage?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Gdog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yes they sit outside. This was taken through the window of the plant when we were on the rouge plant tour in dearborn back in 16. We were then waiting months for our gen 2's to be delivered.

Attachments

• rouge plant.jpg
    rouge plant.jpg
    18.2 KB · Views: 70

gobluejd

HAIL!!!
Reaction score
When you build 2600+ F150's a day and have to store them for a few, this is what happens. Everyone acting like they are going to sit for long time. They know the amount of chips they need, on order and what is coming, hence the production adjustments at each plant around the U.S. Take in consideration they probably make about 40,000 Raptors a year (complete estimate on my part based on rough sales) and only will make half that this year, your looking at about 3000 per month, or 125 per day. We are not dealing with amateurs here. They know what they can do. I honestly do not think over the course of the next few months this will impact the Raptor production as much as everyone thinks. Sure they are dealing with outside issues, but it is not like it is going to get built.

K223

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I just can’t see other than if you don’t need your current truck and the goal is a Gen 3 purchase. To want to rush into this mess with limited trucks being produced this year, first year model at that, shortages, your truck maybe sitting around somewhere waiting to be completed and chassis parts get flash rusted. I can see the posts coming down the road bitching about it. All this and people are fighting to find MSRP.

I found the only benefit to being first on a new model is your the kid on the block to get to show it off. Nothing wrong with that, but the better vehicle and pricing follows a couple of years later.

gobluejd

HAIL!!!
Reaction score
I just can’t see other than if you don’t need your current truck and the goal is a Gen 3 purchase. To want to rush into this mess with limited trucks being produced this year, first year model at that, shortages, your truck maybe sitting around somewhere waiting to be completed and chassis parts get flash rusted. I can see the posts coming down the road bitching about it. All this and people are fighting to find MSRP.

I found the only benefit to being first on a new model is your the kid on the block to get to show it off. Nothing wrong with that, but the better vehicle and pricing follows a couple of years later.
Ya completely agree. My situation is I am coming out of a 2019 F150 lease that ends in February. So as long as I get it ordered and to me by then, I am good. I am willing to pay off the lease early if needed. But it appears I may be saving some money.

melvimbe

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I'm wondering if would make sense to turn the '21 model year into a sort of 'first edition' promo thing. You're going to make a lot less than a normal year due to the late release and COVID employment and supply issues. If you make 10,000, you could number them and give them a little bit of collectors appeal.

Thinking that could help out those that are hesitant to get a '21 so late in the year due to resale impact. Then again, if this batch is buggy, there more easily identified. (Although I guess they already are)

GordoJay

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Thinking that could help out those that are hesitant to get a '21 so late in the year due to resale impact. Then again, if this batch is buggy, there more easily identified. (Although I guess they already are)
If these are MY2021, it could be a bit of a scarlet letter.

melvimbe

FRF Addict
Reaction score

The thing with trucks too is that you can get the same sort of bragging rights by modding your truck a bit vs getting something new. If you have that itch to have something a little new or different in your driveway, get some new wheels or bumpers or something.

K223

FRF Addict
Reaction score
If these are MY2021, it could be a bit of a scarlet letter.

True, but mostly in the sense of superstition and how people over get into things regarding specialty-performance model vehicles. Chances are these will be built and QC checked to meet Fords requirements. But still look what TFL started by saying oh this is a Covid truck and it can’t be built as well. I certainly see and can relate to your point.

Time is money and you can’t completely hold things back. I am sure Ford has to find ways to make things happen.

Jeff-Ohio

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm wondering if would make sense to turn the '21 model year into a sort of 'first edition' promo thing. You're going to make a lot less than a normal year due to the late release and COVID employment and supply issues. If you make 10,000, you could number them and give them a little bit of collectors appeal.

Seems to me like you are going to experience one year of depreciation really fast just to have a truck a few months earlier. Five years from now, your 2021 will definitely be worth a lot less than a 2022 even though you only had it a few extra months. I would hold off and make sure what I got was labeled a 2022.