How is Ford going to deliver on the Gen 3 Raptor with this chip shortage?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

K223

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Seems to me like you are going to experience one year of depreciation really fast just to have a truck a few months earlier. Five years from now, your 2021 will definitely be worth a lot less than a 2022 even though you only had it a few extra months. I would hold off and make sure what I got was labeled a 2022.

I can see if your paying top dollar for it and maybe then some. Yeah you would want that truck early in the MY. If you can get a Gen 3 for MSRP or less then getting it even into the fall is certainly fine. Depends on what you save and really how badly you want or need to need to be in it.

Vintage

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just can’t see other than if you don’t need your current truck and the goal is a Gen 3 purchase. To want to rush into this mess with limited trucks being produced this year, first year model at that, shortages, your truck maybe sitting around somewhere waiting to be completed and chassis parts get flash rusted. I can see the posts coming down the road bitching about it. All this and people are fighting to find MSRP.

I found the only benefit to being first on a new model is your the kid on the block to get to show it off. Nothing wrong with that, but the better vehicle and pricing follows a couple of years later.
I'm pushing to get one this year. I would like to take advantage of the tax deduction for my construction company.

jjm047

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Without a doubt. Every TRX sold is a potential lost customer for Ford, and right now, RAM can't make TRXs fast enough.

Considering how long the Gen 3 has supposedly been in development, they should have had it ready to go even sooner.
Correct. They ****** it.

Donovan

FRF Addict
Reaction score
What if...the problem is, they are getting pressured because of this green initiative and they are just saying its a "Chip" shortage.

Reaction score
I would love a gen 3 with a V8 but with this chip shortage, I am sure the supply will be ultra limited. I think it will be at least 2 years before you see it being produced without issues. I wonder how short the V8 run will be...

nmp1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would love a gen 3 with a V8 but with this chip shortage, I am sure the supply will be ultra limited. I think it will be at least 2 years before you see it being produced without issues. I wonder how short the V8 run will be...
between ford trying to improve their cafe standards, tightening evap rules, and not having the parts to produce their bread and butter vehicles, its not looking good. the hellcat engines are on their deathbed with the epa clamping down and if the parts suppliers can't get their act together, the v8 raptor might be a really short run.