How dangerous is it to actually get a tune?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dirt Bag

Full Access Member
Reaction score
just to answer the original question /concern...
I have had a 5 star tune on my 2012 since it was a week old. No issues (knock on wood), better mileage on my 89 octane tune and more power when change over on my 92 octane tune.
The truck only gets serviced at my local for dealership and I only had to reset the program once after some warranty work on the tyranny.
Key might be to build a rapport with the dealership and service team. A good relationship goes a lot further than just being a whiney customer (say the guy in a customer management role).
They know my truck and know me. Shoot I am even allowed out in the shop when it's on the lift so I can check some things my self...

RaptorFlipper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Zboater- Your damn right it better be different. But in all seriousness the tune will help him. You can spend 4k and the truck will be much different. Exhaust, tune, mid-perch, and CAI. Throw in some lights for 1k. Big difference. I know, I did it first before the SC. As a result of that 5k the truck looks better, drives, better, and sounds better. Money well spent.

Dirt Bag- You are exactly correct. The only way a dealer would touch my truck is if I had a great relationship with someone there, and that they could show me a tech who WTF he was doing on a raptor. Most of them have to look at the manual.

giof89

Reaction score
Ive had about 6 weeks with a Roush Raptor and can tell that it really needs a tune for its potential. I'm in the same boat of whether to get the tune or not. Kind of disappointing power delivery but i understand that they come tuned rich.

ZBoater

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Ive had about 6 weeks with a Roush Raptor and can tell that it really needs a tune for its potential. I'm in the same boat of whether to get the tune or not. Kind of disappointing power delivery but i understand that they come tuned rich.

Proof this is all relative....

Frank L

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a Hennessy tune using a sct tuner and their cold air intake (I wish it had a cover over the cone) It makes a huge difference driving the truck around, more responsive, more power, better economy on the freeway/ same in town. It even makes the engine/ exhaust note louder and more aggressive, you can feel and hear it. I always flash it back when it goes into the dealer ( I have their maintenance plan) but great $$ spent

Fyermanbob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would suggest being carful anytime you take your Raptor in for factory service. I have twice flashed my Super Duty back to stock before service and both times the dealer updated the truck with the latest for program. When I tried to flash it back to performance tune the tuner would not recognize the truck and failed. These were off the shelf tuners, not custom. I called the tuner companies and they wanted almost as much to fix the problem as a new tuner!

RaptorFlipper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here is a good golden nugget-NEVER take your truck to any dealer unless it is for warranty work, or you know the manager. 90% of the dealerships are clueless about these trucks. You are asking for trouble most of the time.