Hot USB ports

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bvlaw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Driving the Raptor last night and noticed a burning smell. Traced the smell to the USB ports in the console ahead of the shift lever, which were super hot to the touch. Also, the Apple cord that was plugged into one of the ports no longer works. Any suggestions??

raptor ghost

Reaction score
not good, were you charging multiple phones/battery packs from the port?

likely you exceeded the charging ports ability/wiring.
i melted a ext cord by plugging a oil heater and charging laptop at the same time luckily no electrical fire

in the future, would just plug into the electrical outlet

edit: could also be the cheap charging cable if it was just the phone plugged in

OP
OP
B

bvlaw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
not good, were you charging multiple phones/battery packs from the port?

likely you exceeded the charging ports ability/wiring.
i melted a ext cord by plugging a oil heater and charging laptop at the same time luckily no electrical fire

in the future, would just plug into the electrical outlet

edit: could also be the cheap charging cable if it was just the phone plugged in

Thanks for the reply. I actually wasn’t charging anything at the time. I had two cords plugged into the outlets but nothing was connected to the cords. The hotter of the two USB ports (both were too hot to keep my fingers on them but one was hotter than the other) was connected to a cheap charging cable.