Honest Fuel Economy Comparison - Raptor vs TRX

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

nikhsub1

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Driving in Los Angeles I get about 12mpg in my raptor. It’s constant stop and go. I imagine a TRX would get 8-9 in the same conditions.

kishorejoseph

Reaction score
What am I doing wrong here...my trip computer on the truck says 12 - 14.5 mpg (city/highway) regardless of how I'm driving. Just drove home for Thanksgiving, Dallas Texas to Ashburn Virginia, and I averaged 14 mpg according to the trip.

Stock tires, Eibach springs up front and maybe 400lbs in the bed. Tires are at 37/35 psi on the truck. Adaptive cruise at 80mph mostly throughout the drive. Premium fuel.

I don't really pay attention to the fuel economy but....every little bit counts, so any advice? lol

Donovan

FRF Addict
Reaction score
someone want to explain to me what an honest fuel economy comparison is...

I would love to lie and say 30mpg, and not pay ******* 122 dollars yesterday... everyone feel better? Since I was honest lol?

Don N

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Averaging 75-85mph going from norcal to socal, I averaged maybe 17.5-18mpg. If I keep it around 70mph, I can get around 19mpg. I am on aftermarket bead lock wheels and have a few extra hundred lbs over stock.

smgilles

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If I run E85 I get 10 - 11 mpg no matter where or how it’s driven.
Otherwise 93 premium on Gosetuned stage 2 = 14 in town and 18 on the highway.

I’m lifted 1.5” with ADD pro bolt front bumper and deaver +3’s.

DINOZR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
someone want to explain to me what an honest fuel economy comparison is...

I would love to lie and say 30mpg, and not pay ******* 122 dollars yesterday... everyone feel better? Since I was honest lol?
I assume because not only did OP provide proof, but he provided his log with manual calculations as well. It's relevant because:
1. The truck's computer is optimistic if you don't go into the system and calibrate it, and I suspect less than 1% of raptor owners do.
2. For some reason there is a cultural thing in this community among some people to boast about fuel mileage.

Donovan

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Fair.

I can honestly say I achieve 485 MPT in winter and maybe 560 in summer, regularly driving around. Long road trips, 600MPT.

GordoJay

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Fair.

I can honestly say I achieve 485 MPT in winter and maybe 560 in summer, regularly driving around. Long road trips, 600MPT.
You must drive like I do. I get a bit better in the summer at altitude and high temperatures because thin air. But you can't be putting your foot in it. It doesn't take much of that to really lower the mileage. Even when I run around town in Tow/Haul I get quite a bit less. With the manual on my last truck, I routinely beat the EPA estimates in town by 20%, 18mpg vs 15mpg estimated. My sense is that Normal Mode is as good as I was with the manual at wringing out the mileage. With a light foot and Normal mode, I can get an honest, calibrated 17 around town in the summer.

2. For some reason there is a cultural thing in this community among some people to boast about fuel mileage.
Well, it's a challenge. I'm old, I have no one I care to impress, it's a truck so it will never truly be fast, so why not entertain myself? It's a matter of listening to the engine. Anyone can do it. I can no more bounce off the rev limiter if I accidentally end up in manual mode than I can fly. Why? Because I can't not listen to the engine. If you drive without paying attention, you won't get good mileage. So poor mileage is a clue that you can improve your driving skill. I see it more as telling people what's possible than of boasting. But if you want to call it boasting, I'm fine with that.

V6Raptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What am I doing wrong here...my trip computer on the truck says 12 - 14.5 mpg (city/highway) regardless of how I'm driving. Just drove home for Thanksgiving, Dallas Texas to Ashburn Virginia, and I averaged 14 mpg according to the trip.

Stock tires, Eibach springs up front and maybe 400lbs in the bed. Tires are at 37/35 psi on the truck. Adaptive cruise at 80mph mostly throughout the drive. Premium fuel.

I don't really pay attention to the fuel economy but....every little bit counts, so any advice? lol

I get about the same here in SoCal. I hear any speeds above 75ish kills MPG in these trucks.

GordoJay

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I get about the same here in SoCal. I hear any speeds above 75ish kills MPG in these trucks.
It also depends on the air density. Humidity or cold or low elevation makes air heavier. You can do 80 across the Colorado Plateau midday in the summer and still get 18. Winter in the PNW at sea level? No way, no how.