Honest Fuel Economy Comparison - Raptor vs TRX

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Badgertits

FRF Addict
Reaction score
My 2019 hits a wall above 75mph. On my 400 mile each way fishing trips I typically get 18.5+ if staying below 75, averaging 80mph it drops into the 16s. I’ll be interested to see what happens when my TRX arrives.....

OP have you ever did a tank in the 14s in the TRX?

Thanks
Yeah Raptor hwy mpg magically falls off a cliff @ around 80mph below 75 you’re correct much better, wonder if it’s a bad spot in the gearing or if it’s simply wind resistance

GordoJay

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Yeah Raptor hwy mpg magically falls off a cliff @ around 80mph below 75 you’re correct much better, wonder if it’s a bad spot in the gearing or if it’s simply wind resistance
Wind resistance goes up with the square of speed. So the wind resistance at 85mph is twice what it is at 60mph. At 120mph, it's four times higher than at 60mph. When I'm on back roads being slowed by traffic I get amazing mileage. On one magic day I got over 21mpg, calibrated, crossing two high passes including the continental divide. Average speed, 60mph. Air density has a big effect, too. Higher elevations on a hot day with the cruise at 80mph, I get an honest 18mpg. Sea level on a cold day? It's not even close because the air is so much heavier and it takes more energy to push it aside. I haven't driven enough miles down low to have a real number, but it's at least 2mpg lower.