Holy Smokes - LOUD!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Lucky14

Lucky14

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Cruise through a parking garage and watch all the car alarms go off. My bike has a nice rumble to it and it will set off alarms every time. Kind of funny to see a dozen or more alarms going off.

Ha! That is actually one of the things I looked forward to in getting it! I frequently park on the 3rd floor of the company garage and it's funny as hell listening to the alarms trip!

OP
OP
Lucky14

Lucky14

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How is the drone with the Magnapack setup?

Not too bad. It has a noticable drone at 1800-2000 RPMs. I had previously replaced the stock system with a magnaflow universal (dual outlet) that had almost the same drone. The magnapack is generally louder in all states. But I have to say that the drone is not any worse than the magnaflow universal and does not impact the ability to talk on the phone or listen to the stereo. Where you REALLY hit drone is when it is under load (up a hill) in low gear and you are hitting 1800 RPMs. So it's not something too bad all the time.

But be warned that you better love the sound of an engine before you do this setup. It's not something that only "car guys" are gonna notice. When you start the truck, every rabbit, squirrel, rattlesnake, dog, coyote, spider and human for 1/2 mile is gonna say "WTF is in that truck???". And when you get on the accelerator, you will strike fear into every Prius driver for miles around!!! :)

FlounderStalker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I installed a Magnaflow 40 AND an electronic cut-out (dump). The dump actually sounds better and has less cabin drone at 2000 rpm than the Maganflow 40. If i had it to do over again, i would forget the Maganflow and just install the dump right ahead of the stock muffler.

JP7

Likes Canadian Mudbaths
Reaction score
My Magnapack came in yesterday, and goes on tomorrow morning :) It's the same 3" in, 4" body, and 3" out as SOCO's and Lucky's. I can't wait...
I've no clue what the noise pollution laws are here in Calgary - but I figure I've heard enough loud Harleys in summertime that this should pass.
My muffler ended up costing $116 with tax, and it'll be about $100 to get it welded in. (It's 0 Fahrenheit here today so I'm not even thinking about doing it in the driveway...)

I'll post up before and after vids with sound later tomorrow.

iceman302

Full Throttle OG
Reaction score
Not too bad. It has a noticable drone at 1800-2000 RPMs. I had previously replaced the stock system with a magnaflow universal (dual outlet) that had almost the same drone. The magnapack is generally louder in all states. But I have to say that the drone is not any worse than the magnaflow universal and does not impact the ability to talk on the phone or listen to the stereo. Where you REALLY hit drone is when it is under load (up a hill) in low gear and you are hitting 1800 RPMs. So it's not something too bad all the time.

But be warned that you better love the sound of an engine before you do this setup. It's not something that only "car guys" are gonna notice. When you start the truck, every rabbit, squirrel, rattlesnake, dog, coyote, spider and human for 1/2 mile is gonna say "WTF is in that truck???". And when you get on the accelerator, you will strike fear into every Prius driver for miles around!!! :)

I love the sound of a Magnaflow under WOT but the droning noise can get annoying on the freeway... especially pulling a trailer. Plus, my daughter's bedroom is on the front of the house. She's a light sleeper like her daddy and I leave for the office around 6:15. I don't want something that's going to wake her up in the morning.

OP
OP
Lucky14

Lucky14

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The magnapack may not be your thing then. My truck is right next to my daughters (2 of them) room. I also leave at 6:00 - 6:30 every day. The first day I started it with the new magnapack, my daughter was like "Dad, your truck is REALLY loud!". But now she has come to love it ...ummm... or at least not complain about it... :)

iceman302

Full Throttle OG
Reaction score
The magnapack may not be your thing then. My truck is right next to my daughters (2 of them) room. I also leave at 6:00 - 6:30 every day. The first day I started it with the new magnapack, my daughter was like "Dad, your truck is REALLY loud!". But now she has come to love it ...ummm... or at least not complain about it... :)

My daughter sleeps like her daddy but she wakes up like her mommy... grouchy! Not a good thing.:jester:

peppercorn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I love the sound of a Magnaflow under WOT but the droning noise can get annoying on the freeway... especially pulling a trailer. Plus, my daughter's bedroom is on the front of the house. She's a light sleeper like her daddy and I leave for the office around 6:15. I don't want something that's going to wake her up in the morning.

Ditto here, so much so that I have to let my truck coast down the driveway and into the street before I start the engine. I know I want headers but this would present a dilema, even starting the engine in the street.

iceman302

Full Throttle OG
Reaction score
Ditto here, so much so that I have to let my truck coast down the driveway and into the street before I start the engine. I know I want headers but this would present a dilema, even starting the engine in the street.

That won't work for me. The only direction my truck will coast is into the living room. My driveway is about 11 degrees downhill.

JP7

Likes Canadian Mudbaths
Reaction score
That won't work for me. The only direction my truck will coast is into the living room. My driveway is about 11 degrees downhill.

Yeah, it is loud Iceman, and I would definately have second thoughts if I lived in suburbia. From inside the house it's not unlike a Harley.
But there are a lot of other mufflers out there that will provide better performance and a different sound than stock - Birdman's setup sounds pretty good, and mild at low RPMs...

I've run headers with no cats and Flowmasters on my old 78 Bronco's and F-150 (emmissions controls didn't dictate them to be equipped with cats). Although those motors were all 400M's, the setup did not seem to be as loud as this one is.