Hold out for V8?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ROCKETW19

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ford would be silly to waste money developing a V8 Raptor just to appease the old dogs who refuse to drive a V6TT. Truck has great power, great MPG, and is in such demand that many buyers are willing to pay absurd ADMs just for the right of owning one.

It would be a huge waste of R&D money just to keep a handful of traditionalists from defecting to Ram or Chevy. It might have happened if the G2 landed with a thud, but that definitely hasn't be the case and the Raptor is one of the only trucks currently being sold that doesn't require huge incentives to get them off dealer's lots.

I agree with everything you said other than people willing to pay for them. my dealer here in Cali where everyone has money to burn and they have 6 Raptors on the lot right now. it is a small dealership satellite station at that.
the 6.2 was no where to be found anywhere in 2013-2014 I didn't look hard in 2012 so can't say. I know I went to Boise to get mine and it was a trade in I caught at. chevy dealer. when I got there it had 700 miles and I paid MSRP it was limited edition and the sales person had a list of people waiting if I didn't show up. I have yet to see anything even close to that with the new one. I even seen one 400$ under MSRP on Ebay

sorry for the rambling

adeerchaser

ALWAYS carry, never tell
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Maybe you should have titled it WISH for a V8. Cause there ain't nothing to hold out for! I do like the here we go again on the debate. Not knocking the v6tt, some seem to love it. I personally will never drive a v6. So when my Raptor wears out will have to look at my options. Maybe back to a diesel

Geo_Tactical

Full Access Member
Reaction score
funny video making the rounds on Instagram of a Ford service tech getting into a gen 2 to pop the hood and says "************* Ecoboost in it". Dude didn't know that there was a dash cam going lol!

Sent from my Galaxy Note 8 using Tapatalk

Fogcitysurfer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Consider this...IF they put a V8 in a Raptor it won't be until 4 or 5 years of the V6 because they need to get what they can out of the V6 R&D investment. If they put a V8 in, it will be an option, not a replacement, with 550hp(?) and it will cost $10k more. Good luck finding one anywhere near MSRP for several years after it comes out.

If you want a truck now, get what you want and need now.

Sharkus29

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree with everything you said other than people willing to pay for them. my dealer here in Cali where everyone has money to burn and they have 6 Raptors on the lot right now. it is a small dealership satellite station at that.
the 6.2 was no where to be found anywhere in 2013-2014 I didn't look hard in 2012 so can't say. I know I went to Boise to get mine and it was a trade in I caught at. chevy dealer. when I got there it had 700 miles and I paid MSRP it was limited edition and the sales person had a list of people waiting if I didn't show up. I have yet to see anything even close to that with the new one. I even seen one 400$ under MSRP on Ebay

sorry for the rambling

I agree with you on this because it was like that when I bought my 2014, but you also have to remember that these new trucks are a lot more expensive than the Gen 1 trucks. My Gen 2 was 20 grand more than what I paid for my Gen 1. Which i'm not complaining about either because the technology in these new trucks is unbelievable and they offer a lot more tech options. I loved my Gen 1 and still love them as trucks, but these Gen 2 trucks are on another level. I personally love the ecoboost, might not sound as nice as the 6.2 but it out performs it in every way. But at the same time a good buddy of mine has a supercharged Gen 1 and its a monster, I guess its all just preference in what the buyer likes! I love all raptors

ROCKETW19

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree with you on this because it was like that when I bought my 2014, but you also have to remember that these new trucks are a lot more expensive than the Gen 1 trucks. My Gen 2 was 20 grand more than what I paid for my Gen 1. Which i'm not complaining about either because the technology in these new trucks is unbelievable and they offer a lot more tech options. I loved my Gen 1 and still love them as trucks, but these Gen 2 trucks are on another level. I personally love the ecoboost, might not sound as nice as the 6.2 but it out performs it in every way. But at the same time a good buddy of mine has a supercharged Gen 1 and its a monster, I guess its all just preference in what the buyer likes! I love all raptors

that's a good point the technology and fit and finish in my wife's explorer blow my raptor away hers is the Platinum but damn its funny how 3 years they made such improvements.
I don't think they made 20K improvements and "think" they raised the price due to the demand and following the gen 1s had/have.
it def comes down to buy what you like or can afford some things will be better in each truck to each person.
personally I think ford messed up setting the price to high. I can easily buy one if I wanted but I just cant spend 75K on a truck at least not a truck any one can go buy. Id build a bad ass trophy truck first.
damn I went rambling again sorry.

crashmc302

Full Access Member
Reaction score
that's a good point the technology and fit and finish in my wife's explorer blow my raptor away hers is the Platinum but damn its funny how 3 years they made such improvements.
I don't think they made 20K improvements and "think" they raised the price due to the demand and following the gen 1s had/have.
it def comes down to buy what you like or can afford some things will be better in each truck to each person.
personally I think ford messed up setting the price to high. I can easily buy one if I wanted but I just cant spend 75K on a truck at least not a truck any one can go buy. Id build a bad ass trophy truck first.
damn I went rambling again sorry.
Agreed, you can build a badass truck for that kind of money.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

kingshredd

Reaction score
After coming off my 2011 Raptor I can say this V6 is very impressive. And I think if Ford does release a new engine for this truck it would be a turbo diesel 6 cylinder. This is just speculation though.

WhatExit?

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I think if Ford does release a new engine for this truck it would be a turbo diesel 6 cylinder. This is just speculation though.

Yup. That makes a lot of sense....a turbodiesel 6 cylinder in a Raptor. :crazy: If the only engines Ford has are turbo diesels and the Raptor is re-designed to be a rock crawler.

LOL-BRAH-NOT-GONNA-HAPPEN.jpg