Hold out for V8?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ltl6pack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I really want a Raptor (will only pay MSRP or less), but I am afraid 2019 will bring a V8 and kill my resale value. Does anyone have information from a credible source about the future of a V8 Raptor? I have no problems with the V6; I actually like it more than a V8 because a lighter engine better suits the trucks purpose. My only concern is resale value (main reason my wife would let me get such an expensive truck we don't need).

Wait! Nobody knows “If” and or “When” but Ford. With the building of a Ranger Raptor, my bet is you will not see one. If you want to invest in a truck only for the investment, maybe a 115,000$ Shelby Raptor would better suit your needs, it would be one of 500.

crashmc302

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I really want a Raptor (will only pay MSRP or less), but I am afraid 2019 will bring a V8 and kill my resale value. Does anyone have information from a credible source about the future of a V8 Raptor? I have no problems with the V6; I actually like it more than a V8 because a lighter engine better suits the trucks purpose. My only concern is resale value (main reason my wife would let me get such an expensive truck we don't need).
Just wait for the Ranger Raptor to hit the US market. A V6 in a full size truck, turboed or not, is a travesty IMO. But a Ranger would suit anyone fine and resale wouldn't be an issue. I like the fact it'll likely make a better overland rig than a full size. So I'm up in the air between that or Bronco, but it comes down to Ford building them. Otherwise I'll be buying an older vehicle and goin ham bone with it. Might be cheaper that way too, considering pricing of new vehicles nowadays.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Geo_Tactical

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would wait. By waiting, one of two things will happen: either Ford fixes the wrong they did in putting a V6 in these things, or they don't but the price will have approached something resembling reasonable. I'm a V8 hold out, but not in a "please make one" way. More of a "if you do, here's my money" way. With resale, yeah, if you buy a V6 now and Ford produces a V8 version, you will absolutely take a hit, and probably a significant one. But that sort of "what if" isn't something I'd focus on.

Sent from my Galaxy Note 8 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

jaz13

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I would wait. By waiting, one of two things will happen: either Ford fixes the wrong they did in putting a V6 in these things, or they don't but the price will have approached something resembling reasonable. I'm a V8 hold out, but not in a "please make one" way. More of a "if you do, here's my money" way. With resale, yeah, if you buy a V6 now and Ford produces a V8 version, you will absolutely take a hit, and probably a significant one. But that sort of "what if" isn't something I'd focus on.

Ford would be silly to waste money developing a V8 Raptor just to appease the old dogs who refuse to drive a V6TT. Truck has great power, great MPG, and is in such demand that many buyers are willing to pay absurd ADMs just for the right of owning one.

It would be a huge waste of R&D money just to keep a handful of traditionalists from defecting to Ram or Chevy. It might have happened if the G2 landed with a thud, but that definitely hasn't be the case and the Raptor is one of the only trucks currently being sold that doesn't require huge incentives to get them off dealer's lots.

Geo_Tactical

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ford would be silly to waste money developing a V8 Raptor just to appease the old dogs who refuse to drive a V6TT. Truck has great power, great MPG, and is in such demand that many buyers are willing to pay absurd ADMs just for the right of owning one.

It would be a huge waste of R&D money just to keep a handful of traditionalists from defecting to Ram or Chevy. It might have happened if the G2 landed with a thud, but that definitely hasn't be the case and the Raptor is one of the only trucks currently being sold that doesn't require huge incentives to get them off dealer's lots.
I don't see it in terms of "traditionalists" vs non, but rather preference. Would be great I think if they provided an option of one or the other, but that's just me. People are buying the V6 variant, and that's great. Would suck to have a Raptor get produced and not generate interest. That there's a gen 2 at all is a direct result of the interest the gen 1 created. No gen 2 interest would mean no gen 3. The degree to which preference is being accommodated or not with Ford's choice isn't clear though, and some of that is by design. If you've made a decision that will be contentious, you want to generate hype (i.e. make it seem not contentious), and that starts with exclusivity. Small dealer allocations and limited availability, leading to ridiculous mark-up gives the impression of "high" demand, but it's relative to the supply volume. Ford knows what they're doing. Again, I'm not a V6 hater, I just wouldn't spend my hard earned money on one because of preference. If Ford produces what I prefer, I'll be all over it. Until then, I'll just keep following the gen1 and gen2 builds that are great, and contribute here and there when I get the opportunity.

WhatExit?

FRF Addict
Reaction score
A V6 in a full size truck, turboed or not, is a travesty IMO.

Ford fixes the wrong they did in putting a V6 in these things, or they don't but the price will have approached something resembling reasonable...if you buy a V6 now and Ford produces a V8 version, you will absolutely take a hit, and probably a significant one.

1xz05o.jpg

Ford is NOT going to produce a V-8 Raptor.

crashmc302

Full Access Member
Reaction score

No one is gonna "defect". They just won't spend money on a truck they don't want. What's wrong with that? I want my Raptor with 8 cylinders. Big deal. MPG isn't that much better. Negligible at best. And the argument about power is pointless. Twin turbo a V8, look there, it's better than the V6 TT. Or take the turbos of the 6 and see how it is. My buddy has a turbo charged Evo that puts out 500+ to the wheels, is that better than my V8? They could build a better truck with a V8. It's just opinion. They do that with the Mustang with Shelby GTs, if they wanted to they could do it with the Raptor. The fact Ford isn't going to come out with a V8 for the Raptor again is purely from the standpoint that they are going to push the Eco Boost. Because that's what will keep the company alive down the road with the emissions restrictions and the fact they shouldn't spend money building an engine for one vehicle. Build one motor, make it awesome for the Raptor, move on with life. Enough random people who aren't enthusiasts will buy it just to buy a Raptor to look cool. The real enthusiasts will buy it if they want it. If not, then Ford doesn't care. Same reason they ditched the Bronco years ago. Those who want a V8 will find one.

As for resale, a car or truck isn't an investment. If you care that much, buy a V6 TT because it's "better" one has millage or more people will "want it" later. Or if you are an "old dog" that doesn't like that idea, wait for the Ranger Raptor or something that would make sense to have a V6 in it.

Or like other guys have said, get a Gen1 and it'll already have been through its depreciation period and you can just treat that as a toy that stays locked up in the garage. It'll keep the mileage down and value up.

---------- Post added at 04:37 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:33 PM ----------

1xz05o.jpg

Ford is NOT going to produce a V-8 Raptor.
I don't care if they do or don't. I'm not buying another one, but I don't think the truck is as good as it could be. I also don't think they're coming out with a V8 again in a Raptor, nor have I been asking for it. I'm indifferent as to what the company does for its own sake. I'd like to see a 2 door Bronco. Will they come out with one? Who knows, probably not right away. I prefer one with 2 doors and suicide half doors like the Scab. But in not running the company, so I'm not gonna get bent out of shape about it. I'll just buy a used one and build it how I want. Crisis averted.

AndysLog

FRF Addict
Reaction score
i dont get why so many are clamoring for a v8 raptor? you can still buy a v8 f150 for much less than a raptor.

if you have the money to buy a raptor but dont want to because of the v6, you can EASILY buy a f150 base v8 and modify to a raptor for less money for sure.

OP
OP
H
Reaction score

I don't think they will develop a V8 just for the Raptor but they will probably have to develop a more fuel efficient V8 for their other trucks and just drop it into the Raptor for easy money.

Ruger

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Tea leaves would be more accurate.
Rat entrails would be more fun.
Who would trust either on a vehicle purchase that's more than the average annual income of Americans?
Buddy, buy what your intelligence tells you is the best value that satisfies your needs.
Waiting to see what Ford will do is as stupid as buying lottery tickets.