Hold out for V8?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Skyfrog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ha, seriously? V8 is gone......newsflash-- Cafe standards
I had to do some Internet research on Obama's CAFE Standards to see how it affects Raptors in the future. I still have more to read, but I learned enough to see @warrior's point.
"There are also incentives to introduce alternative fuel vehicles such all-electric cars or hybrids, which entitles automakers to credits, which they can use to offset the inefficiencies of larger, gas guzzling models".

Here's a look some preliminary fuel efficient projections for various vehicle makes and models:
(snip)
Large Truck Ford F-150 2012:22.3 2017:25.1 2021:25.3 2025:30.2
(From a USNews Article)​

Being an Engineer myself, I can appreciate the effort Ford Engineers did in developing the EB for Raptors, i.e. providing more performance and getting better gas mileage. They did an outstanding job! Combining this with the USNews projections for 2021, which isn't much higher, I would conclude that the EB will be the only choice for the remainder of the GEN 2s, unless a GEN 3 engine option is available in 2020 or 2021. But to achieve 30.2mpg in 2025, a drastic change in engine type would be needed.

As I understand the CAFE Standards, the automobile manufacturers have some wiggle room to offset gas guzzlers with more efficient cars. So unless the vast majority of 2025 Ford cars become electric, hybrid, or alternate fuel, the current V8's won't return as an option. Otherwise they run into trouble with the CAFE Standards.

Assuming there is going to be a GEN 3, the FORD Engineers are probably working hard on a new design. At this point, it is pure speculation, so I'll throw out some ideas and you can trash them to see which one might be something the Raptor community would tolerate. Please add to the list:
- Turbo Diesel, mentioned earlier, would get better mileage, at least closer to 30.2 mpg
- Full Electric, there is a huge benefit to 4 independent electric motors: great torque, no need for a transmission. Perhaps Ford and Tesla will be partners.
- Hybrid, just imagine a big Prius
- Hydrogen Fuel Cell, definitely in the works for other vehicles and the exhaust is pure water, so tree-huggers will love it.
- LPG, I think this qualifies as an "alternative fuel" and would require little change to current engines.
Note: The Hydrogen Fuel Cell and LPG would require a much larger fuel tank, so you may loose some bed space.

I just wanted to give an Engineer's perspective in view of the CAFE Standards. There's also a possibility Trump could dismiss the CAFE Standards, but I think that's unlikely with our current media. My guess would be a Turbo Diesel or LPG as these would impact the basic design the least. So bring on the flames...

(Your local Rocket Scientist)

Last edited:

Sage

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The horse is dead, the maggots have finished, buzzards have left, coyotes took what they could.

Nothing left but a few bleached out bones. Time to move on. Nothing to see here.

jaz13

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I had to do some Internet research on Obama's CAFE Standards to see how it affects Raptors in the future. I still have more to read, but I learned enough to see @warrior's point.
"There are also incentives to introduce alternative fuel vehicles such all-electric cars or hybrids, which entitles automakers to credits, which they can use to offset the inefficiencies of larger, gas guzzling models".

Here's a look some preliminary fuel efficient projections for various vehicle makes and models:
(snip)
Large Truck Ford F-150 2012:22.3 2017:25.1 2021:25.3 2025:30.2
(From a USNews Article)​

Being an Engineer myself, I can appreciate the effort Ford Engineers did in developing the EB for Raptors, i.e. providing more performance and getting better gas mileage. They did an outstanding job! Combining this with the USNews projections for 2021, which isn't much higher, I would conclude that the EB will be the only choice for the remainder of the GEN 2s, unless a GEN 3 engine option is available in 2020 or 2021. But to achieve 30.2mpg in 2025, a drastic change in engine type would be needed.

As I understand the CAFE Standards, the automobile manufacturers have some wiggle room to offset gas guzzlers with more efficient cars. So unless the vast majority of 2025 Ford cars become electric, hybrid, or alternate fuel, the current V8's won't return as an option. Otherwise they run into trouble with the CAFE Standards.

Assuming there is going to be a GEN 3, the FORD Engineers are probably working hard on a new design. At this point, it is pure speculation, so I'll throw out some ideas and you can trash them to see which one might be something the Raptor community would tolerate. Please add to the list:
- Turbo Diesel, mentioned earlier, would get better mileage, at least closer to 30.2 mpg
- Full Electric, there is a huge benefit to 4 independent electric motors: great torque, no need for a transmission. Perhaps Ford and Tesla will be partners.
- Hybrid, just imagine a big Prius
- Hydrogen Fuel Cell, definitely in the works for other vehicles and the exhaust is pure water, so tree-huggers will love it.
- LPG, I think this qualifies as an "alternative fuel" and would require little change to current engines.
Note: The Hydrogen Fuel Cell and LPG would require a much larger fuel tank, so you may loose some bed space.

I just wanted to give an Engineer's perspective in view of the CAFE Standards. There's also a possibility Trump could dismiss the CAFE Standards, but I think that's unlikely with our current media. My guess would be a Turbo Diesel or LPG as these would impact the basic design the least. So bring on the flames...

(Your local Rocket Scientist)

Not sure if this loophole has been closed, but E-85 was a big thing in trucks and SUVs for a while because the govt only counted the 15% petrol. An e-85 Suburban was actually boosting the fleet's MPG!!! That is why so many manufacturers were pushing E-85 capable engines even though there was zero consumer demand for that feature.

I expect G3 will push some kind of mild hybrid system that puts the currently hated engine stop-start on steroids. Small battery and motor/generator on the front axle. Charge battery on braking and electric motor gets the vehicle up to 5 mph before the gasoline engine kicks on.

Funny thing is the G2 will go up in value because old dogs will refuse to drive a hybrid truck even if it puts out a combined 550hp.

ROCKETW19

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not sure if this loophole has been closed, but E-85 was a big thing in trucks and SUVs for a while because the govt only counted the 15% petrol. An e-85 Suburban was actually boosting the fleet's MPG!!! That is why so many manufacturers were pushing E-85 capable engines even though there was zero consumer demand for that feature.

I expect G3 will push some kind of mild hybrid system that puts the currently hated engine stop-start on steroids. Small battery and motor/generator on the front axle. Charge battery on braking and electric motor gets the vehicle up to 5 mph before the gasoline engine kicks on.

Funny thing is the G2 will go up in value because old dogs will refuse to drive a hybrid truck even if it puts out a combined 550hp.

when modding a big V8 like the supercharged LT4 the E85 and tuning total of about 1400 bucks you can gain 80 extra HP. no clue what will happen to a lil V6 with turbos I am not that smart but if it was the same damn that would be a huge plus for me.

MY side note just to stir the pot there will be no gen 3 raptor as the gen 2 is not selling for shit. the same exact ones are still on the lot just drove past them 30mins ago. ford priced them to high their greed shot them in the foot.

jaz13

FRF Addict
Reaction score
when modding a big V8 like the supercharged LT4 the E85 and tuning total of about 1400 bucks you can gain 80 extra HP. no clue what will happen to a lil V6 with turbos I am not that smart but if it was the same damn that would be a huge plus for me.

MY side note just to stir the pot there will be no gen 3 raptor as the gen 2 is not selling for shit. the same exact ones are still on the lot just drove past them 30mins ago. ford priced them to high their greed shot them in the foot.

Stop by the dealer and you will quickly find out why those Raptors are not selling. Dealers who charge MSRP cannot keep them in stock.

Dealer by me had 40 in stock. He had so many some were parked at the shopping center next door because he ran out of room. Was strange because everyone else in town was sold out. Surprise, surprise, dealer was having a hard time moving his inventory because he insisted on $20k over.

ROCKETW19

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Stop by the dealer and you will quickly find out why those Raptors are not selling. Dealers who charge MSRP cannot keep them in stock.

Dealer by me had 40 in stock. He had so many some were parked at the shopping center next door because he ran out of room. Was strange because everyone else in town was sold out. Surprise, surprise, dealer was having a hard time moving his inventory because he insisted on $20k over.

40 instock lmoa now that's stirring the pot even better than I can do.
I know why they are not selling they actually want 30K over sticker I am being a troll ya know stir the pot part of my post.