HELP!!! Is the NAVIGATION really worth $2,500?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reptar

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I wasn't going to get the nav, till I found out I had to order nav to get the fr and rr cameras. Not that I had the biggest use for a front camera, it was a cool gadget I wanted, so that was finally enough to push me over into getting it along with hearing everyone rave about how awesome the nav is. So instead I skipped the moonroof and put that towards the nav.

LSURaptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I passed on it but of all the factory nav systems, it's the only one I would even consider.

And I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but you won't be ordering a Molten Orange truck...

DEADEYE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
All the high points were mentioned other then using the NAV points of interest function with SYNC .
You can literally tell it to find a golf course in a specific city without ever touching the screen or set a specific address in the same way . I drive allot for work and locations can change on the fly so this worked out well for me.

The Weather map function is awesome as well . I was out fishing with no ability to get a weather report. One of the guys In my group said man I wish we knew what was coming in . I said hold on and went an down loaded current weather map and showed them the satellite image for all of North America much less where we were planning on going for that day . They could not believe it . Up until that point I had just laid in the weeds and not said anything about my truck , then all of a sudden these guys were what else can this thing do .
Well no good off road locals were close by or I would have showed them the real reason I bought this truck.

Last edited:

Ruger

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I didn't buy the nav system with prejudice. Here's my thinking:
- I like maps a lot and can read them well. I do not get lost. But if I did, I personally believe that the possibility of getting a little turned around is what makes adventure travel adventurous.
- You can use a map in the other car, on the motorcycle, when hiking, etc. Portability is a virtue.
- Maps are not dependent upon a software geek in Malasia or a Ford engineer in Deerborn. They are, in fact, foolproof compared to an electronic navigation system.
- With the 2011 model year you had to buy the luxury package in order to spend more money to get the nav system. A luxury package on any truck is a little hard for me to understand, on a 4x4 is very hard to understand, and on a high performance 4x4 designed to go at high speed over open off-road country strikes me as utter lunacy.
- I do not spend $5 on a shirt that I don't like, so I sure as hell wouldn't spend $1,500 on a luxury package that I don't want.
- Then there's the $1,000+ on the nav system that replaces the $6.95 map.

OK, so I've got 10,000 miles on the truck and I've driven it over 12,000 foot elevation passes in the Colorado Rockies. Do I now regret the decision I made at the time of purchase?

NO.

Bad company

Reaction score
If you have a smart phone, you will always have the most updated NAV available.

Also, SYNC can give you turn by turn directions without nav, it's all voice activated.

So NAV is a third redundant system.

I couldn't justify the option for my truck, but I also was trying to fit it into my budget.

SaintsFan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think not having the NAV will hurt resale. Very soon ALL vehicles will come with NAV as standard equipment. So resistance is futile. I personally love the NAV and have insisted on having it in every vehicle I have owned since 2005.

OP
OP
mictouch

mictouch

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, to answer a few questions. My truck has been on order and being that the Navigation plant in Japan was affected by the Tsunami they told me I wouldn't get my Navigation. I got a call from the dealer asking if I wanted to add it back into my order. They also told me it is not a for sure thing because the Navigation units they have are mostly being saved for 2012 orders. Doesn't seem fair for people that have been waiting. So, I have the decision now to get the Molten Orange with possibly a Navigation or waiting and getting the Flame Red 2012.

Now a couple more questions. Is the navigation really split on the screen like the picture I attached with the Maps being only HALF the screen and sharing the radio info and the Climate info. My father had a Ranger Rover and that unit was worthless and I'm sure it was more than $2500. I have also played with Audi and BMW's Navigation units and they too are very clunky and hard to use. On my off road car and all the races cars I've been in for Baja (Off Road Races) all use Lowrance units. I am really spoiled because my Nissan Armada's Navigation is awesome, easy to use and it has everything you guys are talking about and a lot more features other than the cell phone features. BTW, I have no problems tossing my piece of crap I Phone and upgrading to anything else!

So, my questions are for Raptor owners who have a Factory Navigation:

Is it possible to go Full Screen with Navigation Maps?
Does it really add anything else to the truck besides Navigation and a bigger display for the backup camera?
Does the Sync Feature use the display for any of it's features?
What am I missing here?

My questions to Raptor owners without Navigation.

Is the backup camera easy to view in the mirror?
Are the Sync and the Climate Controls along with the Radio easy to use without the navigation?
Don't you still have all the options that you would get that people are talking about with the navigation? Like Ski Reports, Sync Voice Commands, Travel Link and so on?

What am I missing here! The Bread Crumb Features does sound great - Like Track Back on a Garmin. I would rather have a Navigation that I can load Off Road Trail Maps and Race Course Maps in. I just don't want to choke and be pissed I passed on a cool feature!

Once again, thanks for all your help...

OP
OP
mictouch

mictouch

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, to answer a few questions. My truck has been on order and being that the Navigation plant in Japan was affected by the Tsunami they told me I wouldn't get my Navigation. I got a call from the dealer asking if I wanted to add it back into my order. They also told me it is not a for sure thing because the Navigation units they have are mostly being saved for 2012 orders. Doesn't seem fair for people that have been waiting. So, I have the decision now to get the Molten Orange with possibly a Navigation or waiting and getting the Flame Red 2012.

Now a couple more questions. Is the navigation really split on the screen like the picture I attached with the Maps being only HALF the screen and sharing the radio info and the Climate info. My father had a Ranger Rover and that unit was worthless and I'm sure it was more than $2500. I have also played with Audi and BMW's Navigation units and they too are very clunky and hard to use. On my off road car and all the races cars I've been in for Baja (Off Road Races) all use Lowrance units. I am really spoiled because my Nissan Armada's Navigation is awesome, easy to use and it has everything you guys are talking about and a lot more features other than the cell phone features. BTW, I have no problems tossing my piece of crap I Phone and upgrading to anything else!

So, my questions are for Raptor owners who have a Factory Navigation:

Is it possible to go Full Screen with Navigation Maps?
Does it really add anything else to the truck besides Navigation and a bigger display for the backup camera?
Does the Sync Feature use the display for any of it's features?
What am I missing here?

My questions to Raptor owners without Navigation.

Is the backup camera easy to view in the mirror?
Are the Sync and the Climate Controls along with the Radio easy to use without the navigation?
Don't you still have all the options that you would get that people are talking about with the navigation? Like Ski Reports, Sync Voice Commands, Travel Link and so on?

What am I missing here! The Bread Crumb Features does sound great - Like Track Back on a Garmin. I would rather have a Navigation that I can load Off Road Trail Maps and Race Course Maps in. I just don't want to choke and be pissed I passed on a cool feature!

Once again, thanks for all your help...

CineSLR

Roaming Shutterbug
Reaction score
You will not regret it... Most threads like this (they happen about once a month) tend to end in the person going for it.

1.Yes, you can have full screen maps, both birds eye and 2D modes...
2.Yes, it allows for the addition of locpik (or however you spell it) or NavTV which allows for aux inputs plus others, it functions as a obd Code reader, Travel link alone was enough to sell me, has a hard drive for importing music... there are a lot of things it adds... Including a sub (which is crap compared to aftermarket but better than not having one.

3.Its much easier to control the phone setup with a screen, including reading text messages, call log, phone book etc...