Help a Tainted Ford Bro out...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ovis

Reaction score
Hi Folks

Seeking some thoughts on a new 2013 Raptor or perhaps a new SD. Here's the deal...

I'm currenty the owner of a 2011 F150 FX4 w/ Eco. Unfortunately, it is a lemon and after many months of fighting with Ford to fix the problem, they have taken steps to make things right...I hope. However, it doesn't come without a cost to me either.

If you are on Facebook, please have a look at the following link...it'll tell you more than you ever cared to know about my Ford experience, there are also some pics of my rig in one of the notes pages.

https://www.facebook.com/BobMooreFordIsCorrupt?ref=ts&fref=ts

I learned this week, Ford is offering to put me into a truck of equal or greater value (MSRP) of my current truck. Sounds great, but they want to ding me for a usage fee (ballpark $8K) for mileage, wear and tear (tires, cracked windshield) and do not want to reimburse me for accessories that will stick with the truck (6" suspension lift) even though those accessories were bolted on to the truck before I signed the purchase agreement. You can read up about how twisted this is on the Facebook page, but the gist of it is...Ford Corporate doesn't want to honor the actions of an independently owned and operated Ford Dealership (Bob Moore Ford) and the dealership isn't doing a damn thing to make things right.

Anyhow, the reason why I am here...

I found a 2013 Raptor I liked and I think many of my accessories from my current truck will transfer over to the Raptor. Here is the list...

- Bull Bar
- Nerf Bars
- 20" HD Spies & 35/12.5/20 Nitto Terra Grapplers
- Top Shelf Jason slick shell
- suspension air bags

Questionable...are the fender flares. I don't recall the brand name, but my guess is they will not fit on the Raptor. Confirm or deny??

Lastly, I'll lose out on the cost of the 6" suspension lift.

The advantage here is the Raptor will accomodate the 35s without modding it.

I live in Alaska and do quite a bit of traveling during the summer months...often times with my 26' Keystone Cougar TT. My Eco had no problems hauling the TT, but I topped out at 6 mpg when towing it. Combine that with a 26 gallon tank, it made traveling the state quite painful. Gas stations are few and far between, but I would have to stop at darn near each one to get from one side of the state to the other. I know the Raptor is capable of hauling the trailer. It weighs about 7-8K lbs when wet and loaded. My question is, is it ideal?

If I upgrade to a SD, few of my accessories will transfer over and I'll lose out even more, most likely recouping a negligible amount from craigslist. But have the confidence knowing I have a reliable rig that can haul my toys and get decent mileage.

Maxx2893

Rock and Roll Offroad
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd say your best bet will be the SD because of towing. Your camper is topping out the Raptors rating. Plus mileage won't be much better than your eco. The sd will get much better mileage and tow that without problem.

MagicMtnDan

FRF Addict
Reaction score
If you use your truck mostly for towing (or even 50%) of the time then I'd say there's no decision to make - go for the Super Duty.

The Raptor is not a good tow vehicle especially for larger/heavier trailers. It's really designed for higher speed off-roading (and not towing anything).

Thanks for checking in with us

OP
OP
O

Ovis

Reaction score
Thanks for being the voice of reason guys. I'll move on over to a SD forum.

Smokinjo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 26 ft Travel trailer. Weighs in 5-6K depending on how loaded we are. I have towed it with the Raptor all over. It pulls great. I thought about the SD and could have gotten a great deal on one. I just did not want to mess with DEF, higher maintenance costs, turbos etc. Raptor gets 10mpg towing the travel trailer.