Help a brother out (Minor Accident)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

WestTXRaptor6

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If there was no police report, it will not make it on Carfax. That is the only way something gets on Carfax.
Police reports are not the only way Carfax gets the info. They source from state DMV’s, repair facilities, insurance companies, warranty companies, police departments, and auctions, etc. Not all accidents have police reports as a lot of folks simply exchange insurance information and proceed on their way if the accidents are minor.

Gen2Vmax

Reaction score
Pictures might help, but from what you are saying something seems off to be that far apart. I would go to the guy that gave the lower estimate and show him the higher estimate and ask him why this huge difference. Guessing the estimates show exactly what parts/repairs are being done. The lower estimate guy might be able to shed some light on what parts/repairs the higher estimate is being replaced and why he feels those repairs are not necessary or needed.

goblues38

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Time for me to get on my old man soap box.....

Everyone should know who your body shop is, right now. If I am out and get in an accident, 5 miles or 500 miles from home, the vehicle gets sent to White Auto Body. I have had a relationship with them for over 30 years.

Dealer body shops are the worst. Dealer body guys are either fresh out of trade school and have little experience, or old lifers who never had the skill or drive to get into a private shop. Dealer shops will go by the book and fix the bare minimum with little care for quality. They are the dealer and many like the OP think that is who they have to use.

Private shops come in 3 types. HACKS who just want to rush cars through on the cheap and maximize profits.

High end boutiques wanting to work on the custom jobs for big dollars.

Finally a good reputable shop who's reputation is their business. they have to do whats right by the customer so they get repeat business, or they dont stay in business long.

So.... everyone needs to ask around. friends, family, co workers. Find people who have had a positive experience with a body job. then go meet with them. Then visit them every couple years to make sure they still do quality work.

..... off soap box

If there was no police report, it will not make it on Carfax. That is the only way something gets on Carfax.

I tapped a guy in a parking lot. no damage to his car or mine. but he called his insurance company to let them know, but no work was done. Car fax listed my car as being in a "front end collision" ... nothing i could do. car Fax is a scam.

GCATX

King Dingaling
Reaction score

Lol. Go read a carfax on a 10 year old vehicle.

Sorry if I took the bait, is this a new troll or new name for an old one?

A buddies 17 F150 got hit, took out every piece of sheet metal on the passenger side. He said the estimate was around $18k. It looked really bad in the photo. OP, Sounds like these guys are hoping for an easy score, or they are pricing themselves out of the job, on purpose.

traxem

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The $4,700’ish estimate seems more reasonable. Is your buddy willing to cover that? If not, you need to open a claim with your insurance ASAP—even if you end up cancelling the claim later. Your Insurance company will deny the claim that’s not timely filed.

People will promise to pay for repairs without realizing how much it will cost. This is how some friendship/families are broken. If it’s close to $5k in damage, insurance might be the way to go. Your buddy’s insurance might cover it too.

Reaction score
Anyone consider the possibly this buddy was going a tad over the “5 MPH” he claimed to be going, when he hit whatever he claims to have hit?? Just sayin.... We all want to believe our trucks are tanks, but even a tank has a weakness. Nothing is indestructible. A hit in just the right spot can end in a write-off. Coming from a man who’s wife & daughter can’t drive for $hit.... Definitely get additional opinions from other Reputable shops & don’t tell them a word of what the others said. Let them come to you with what their findings are & you’ll hopefully find there to be A majority consensus that theirs no structural damage. I also agree 100%... that you should open a claim ASAP. You can always cancel without penalty, Good luck....

OP
OP
R

Remix5x

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Check these out. I’m going to 2 more body shops now. Turns out even though he was driving. I have to call my insurance.

FA08BCD3-93DA-43FE-B42A-0A6BE22EC760.jpeg

291E8AD7-500B-4690-9FB4-F645B07AA701.jpeg

9E7DEE42-8FA8-405B-929A-F7AA6362B281.jpeg

2FC40750-3A88-4786-A4FF-F35D4D106951.jpeg

goblues38

FRF Addict
Reaction score
How the hell did he even do that. to me it looks like he cooked it around a corner and went sideways, like 90 degrees into a post.

That looks much worse then 5 mph.