Father's Day Accident

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Thatblackraptor

Reaction score
Ran into my neighbor at a blind corner down the street from my house. Hit his Ram 1500 head on and caused some damaged to my 2018.

-Intercooler was pushed back bending the transmission cooler and radiator.
-Grille is toast, cracked in several spots.
-Headlight trims lost most of their clips.
-Core radiator support is cracked in numerous spots

I have USAA and am trying to figure out how to handle it. I'm pretty sure I can do the repairs on my own. Has anyone done it that way? Does the Bodyshop estimate the repair then the insurance pays you what the shop estimated? I have numerous aftermarket parts and the frame horns have been cut. Not sure if that affects anything insurance wise?

IMG_8400.JPG

IMG_8406.JPG

Nex

RIP CoronaRaptor
Reaction score
Did you total the Ram?

Each insurance company is different. I am not familiar with how USAA does their claims. But I would start at the body shop for an estimate even if I plan on doing the work myself.

OP
OP
Thatblackraptor

Thatblackraptor

Reaction score
Did you total the Ram?

Each insurance company is different. I am not familiar with how USAA does their claims. But I would start at the body shop for an estimate even if I plan on doing the work myself.

I don't think I totaled the ram. His front steel bumper took much of the force along with the trim above the bumper. Looked to be mostly cosmetic.

My truck having the grille/intercooler get pushed back did a lot of damage.

IMG_8399.jpg

Alysium

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm assuming you are at fault since you said "hit his ram.."

If you have a good relationship with your neighbor and get to a reasonable agreement, keep it off the books and do the repairs yourself. Everything is fixable, just takes time and money.

Insurance might focus on the frame being modified from its original configuration and the additional or surrounding damage may be considered as not coverable due to the alterations.

This is just my opinion based on countless times dealing with insurance and modified vehicles for myself and my customers.

I'm hoping that you'd have a better experience with your insurance.

John M BUNMAN

BUNMAN-Adventures, Rescue & Recovery
Reaction score
Dam Man, Sorry to hear that :(
Like we always say, Glad you and your neighbor are ok. Injuries to the trucks are easier to fix than injuries to the folks invloved.

I would file a Report for a HATE CRIME with the FEDS and Local PD, since the Ram Rammed you without any Provocation and with MALICE AFORETHOUGHT !!

isis

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you’re going through insurance or even thinking about it just be honest and let your agent and body shop both know why you’re asking questions. It’s easier for the insurance to cut a check and let you manage it if you want to be picky. Straight up ask about the aftermarket stuff and have your receipts ready.

isis

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Your trucks are also now officially dating so good luck with all that.