Help a brother out (Minor Accident)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Remix5x

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone! Was wondering if any of you have been through a similar situation or can help with some knowledge on what I am going through.

So this past week I drove up to Northern California for my buddies wedding. While up north we had rented an AirBnB and were partying and all that good jazz. A buddy of mine borrowed my truck to go by beer pong cups (I know stupid as ****). As he was backing out he hit a pole that he didn’t see which gashed up the drivers side door and bent the running board so that it is facing down. So now that I’m back from the wedding I went and got a few estimates to give to my buddy to fix.

I went to the Ford collision website and looked for auto body shops listed there. There are 2 shops close by so I made appointments for them. I also called my local Ford Dealer (Galpin Ford) and they referred me to their exclusive auto body shop.

First estimate was to the tune of 4700ish which would be to replace the door panel and install brand new running board on the drivers side.

Second estimate the guy immediately told me this is a 20-25grand job within seconds. He said that the frame was bent and they would have to replace the frame. He had done 6 of these recently and the reason it’s expensive is because he will have disassemble the entire left side and some of the interior up to the center console. The estimate came back 17.5grand in writing.
(This is my local dealer Galpin’s auto body shop)

I have appointments for 2 more body shops left this week.

Has anyone had their running boards damaged and replaced? I didn’t expect such an massive difference between estimates. I want to know if Auto Body shop # 1 didn’t do their due diligence? Or if shop # 2 is full of shit?

The 2nd shop said it’s expensive because it’s aluminum.

Now my buddy was backing up going 5mph and hit a pole, would that bend the frame and require 17k in damages? Doesn’t seem right and I would be frankly pissed if the truck is so fragile it needs a huge expensive repair bill for such a minor incident. Anyone have a similar repair situation? How did it go for you?

Sorry if my grammar sucks.

Thank you for your time.

Last edited:

nikhsub1

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Pics would help a lot. Bent frame? FFS no. Seems to me a new running board and door skin but again, pics would help. Get under your truck and look at the frame! Any damage?

Klavius Morph

Reaction score
A bent frame from a 5mph dinger? ********.
I T-***** a guy doing 35 and my frame was fine. These trucks are tanks.

Notice how fast he came off the $25k estimate and down to $17K? He's testing to see how much of a chump you are.

You might even be able to bang your running board out depending on how bad it is (post pics). My skid plate was dinged up from my accident and his insurance paid to have it repaired, but wouldn't spring for a new one. I ended up banging it straight myself and re-using. Looks pretty good with some new undercoat on it.

DSC08977.jpg

Last edited:

xlr8

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like a scam to me, look elsewhere. Also remember this will go on Carfax so you’ll take a value hit.

SilverBolt

Hired Gun
Reaction score
The running boards are not even attached to the frame. No chance of frame damage. Now it may be possible that bending the running board did cause some hidden damage to the body where they attach. Look up underneath where they mount and see if the mounting points are damaged or is it just the mounting brackets.

NE Raptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Post some pics so we can see it - I highly doubt the frame is bent but maybe something like a little mount or ear is "tweaked" and technically that is all they need to write for a frame to return the vehicle to pre-collision condition. Is there any damage to the cab of the truck on the rocker panel or anything?

WMRaptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Pics please as everyone else says and run from the frame damage shop and never go back. Long story short don't let people drive your truck lol.