Having high beam switch control

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NDO

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nope IMHO. Looks to me like all your aux switches will function alike, because effectively you’ve tied all of them together. None of the lights will be powered unless the high beams are on, and all of them will be powered if any switch 1, 2, 3, or 6 is powered.
But I’ll repeat my caveat...I’m not an EE. Try it and see what happens. It won’t damage anything.

bwmiller74

Reaction score
Nope IMHO. Looks to me like all your aux switches will function alike, because effectively you’ve tied all of them together. None of the lights will be powered unless the high beams are on, and all of them will be powered if any switch 1, 2, 3, or 6 is powered.
But I’ll repeat my caveat...I’m not an EE. Try it and see what happens. It won’t damage anything.

Thanks NDO - I asked the guy at work about the previous diagram after I made it, but not sure he was totally getting what I wanted to do. Anyway after taking a break from this for awhile and your input I feel like I'm getting closer.

How many times have I said that now!?! hahaha

First IMG I thought might work, but then I thought of adding another SPST Relay for the AUX6 switch in dig 2.

Attachments

• SPST to SPDT relay.jpg
    SPST to SPDT relay.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 38
  • 2018-01-18 08-40-03_CompatWindow.jpg
    2018-01-18 08-40-03_CompatWindow.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 49
Last edited:

NDO

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Still not right. You’re trying to power your lights from aux6 instead of triggering from it. My sketch above shows the right circuit for what you’re trying to do. And you don’t need SPDTs, you can use all SPSTs.

bwmiller74

Reaction score
Still not right. You’re trying to power your lights from aux6 instead of triggering from it. My sketch above shows the right circuit for what you’re trying to do. And you don’t need SPDTs, you can use all SPSTs.

Thanks NDO - Ill look at your sketch more thoroughly tomorrow - heading to bed - brain is raked!

---------- Post added at 01:29 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:24 AM ----------

As flzrider said, your diagrams weren’t correct.

Something like this should work I think. Unless I’m mistaken you can use SPST instead of SPDT since you’re using multiple relays.

Wow I missed this in all my fumbling. This looks so much easier and makes sense... Thanks man!!!

flzrider

Reaction score

The only way you can make this work without a SPDT relay is if you use diodes, which is just more complexity and room for error or failure.

I don't know why you guys are trying to reinvent the wheel here. I showed you the diagram I used and have confirmed I have done it and it works.

bwmiller74

Reaction score
The only way you can make this work without a SPDT relay is if you use diodes, which is just more complexity and room for error or failure.

I don't know why you guys are trying to reinvent the wheel here. I showed you the diagram I used and have confirmed I have done it and it works.

I like your idea and design, but I can't seam to grasp what wires go where on the SPDT relays. As you can probably tell from all the diagrams I keep mocking up.

From your SPST relay that gets pwr from battery - which then gets triggered from high beams and sends signal out (87)
Where does that connect on the SPDT relay and where does AUX 1-3 upfitter wire connect on the SPDT relays.
Which wires go to NC and NO

Can you connect the dots on here so I have a clear understanding of what you did?

Attachments

• connect the dots.jpg
    connect the dots.jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 38
Last edited:

NDO

Full Access Member
Reaction score

I finally figured out that you are using an NC connection for Aux1 and Aux2 on the SPDT relays vs the NO connection from the power relay so it makes sense to me now. Sorry for being dense.

That said, is there any reason the setup I sketched with four SPST relays wouldn’t work? It wouldn’t need diodes since all the relays are NO.

bwmiller74

Reaction score
I finally figured out that you are using an NC connection for Aux1 and Aux2 on the SPDT relays vs the NO connection from the power relay so it makes sense to me now. Sorry for being dense.

That said, is there any reason the setup I sketched with four SPST relays wouldn’t work? It wouldn’t need diodes since all the relays are NO.

Still need diodes unless you make sure to have Aux6 (high beam switch) off while using the others.

I understand the SPTD relay somewhat, but would like someone to map out the actual wiring from my diagram earlier. Got my FRL lights today and hope to start building a harness this weekend once I know how to wire it all with Flzriders way. Otherwise NDO diagram will be my route with diodes added on Aux1-3.

NDO

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Still need diodes unless you make sure to have Aux6 (high beam switch) off while using the others.

That’s not true. Aux6 will power all the lights so it won’t hurt anything to add a parallel power supply from Aux1-3. Diodes won’t hurt but you won’t damage anything without them either.

bwmiller74

Reaction score
Here's my latest diagram. Correct it for me if it needs to be.

Attachments

• relay_spst_to_spdt_613776bcf087a884c53ca24deb99f0baed1f684d.jpg
    relay_spst_to_spdt_613776bcf087a884c53ca24deb99f0baed1f684d.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 48