Hard Shifts 3-4-5

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

policedutchdog

Reaction score
There's a TSB on this issue. I had the same problem with my 2018 with hard shifts at 3-4 and had the dealer do the PCM flash with the update. The dealer or tech has to follow the procedure that is laid out in the TSB or the new program won't take. Haven't had a single issue since.

Soldier442

Reaction score
I have a 2017 with the same problem, 4 to 5 hard shifting in sport mode. The dealer said there is nothing they can do, except software updates. Now there is a hard clunking when it down shifts to a stop. I have an appointment with the dealer on the 2nd of June, not sure what they will say, the last time they said, Ford won't do anything unless the transmission seizes...

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I have a 2017 with the same problem, 4 to 5 hard shifting in sport mode. The dealer said there is nothing they can do, except software updates. Now there is a hard clunking when it down shifts to a stop. I have an appointment with the dealer on the 2nd of June, not sure what they will say, the last time they said, Ford won't do anything unless the transmission seizes...
Did you just buy this truck? If it shifts smoothly in normal mode there’s nothing wrong with the transmission. A hard 4-5 shift in sport mode is a characteristic of the calibration. If you don’t want firm shifts, keep it in normal mode.

jchap711

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have you considered a tune from Cobb. You could do a stage 1 tune with a tcm tune. Cost effective and will fix your harsh shifting. Goosetune can also send you a custom tune once you buy the stage 1 package from cobb.

lawdog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did you just buy this truck? If it shifts smoothly in normal mode there’s nothing wrong with the transmission. A hard 4-5 shift in sport mode is a characteristic of the calibration. If you don’t want firm shifts, keep it in normal mode.
For those of us that actually had this problem, that's just not true. The PCM re-flash doesn't fix it. And, if it really was designed that way, why? And why don't they all do it? This 10sp inarguably has some issues...my wife's 2019 Expedition has some of them, as well. Just this past weekend it malfunctioned and refused to downshift to pass on the interstate and kicked out of gear completely. It has been making audibly hard downshifts for months in standard drive mode. I just got a 2019 Limited with the HO from the Raptor, and it does some of the weird things (the looping skip-shift from 2-5 when it's cold) my Raptor did, but no slamming hard 4-5 shift in Sport.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
For those of us that actually had this problem, that's just not true. The PCM re-flash doesn't fix it. And, if it really was designed that way, why? And why don't they all do it? This 10sp inarguably has some issues...my wife's 2019 Expedition has some of them, as well. Just this past weekend it malfunctioned and refused to downshift to pass on the interstate and kicked out of gear completely. It has been making audibly hard downshifts for months in standard drive mode. I just got a 2019 Limited with the HO from the Raptor, and it does some of the weird things (the looping skip-shift from 2-5 when it's cold) my Raptor did, but no slamming hard 4-5 shift in Sport.
What problem? There is no PCM update for firm shifts in Sport Mode. If it were a mechanical fault, it would happen regardless of drive mode. The TCM learns the driver’s behavior and adjusts accordingly, so not every vehicle will shift exactly the same.

Never heard of a “looping” skip shift from 2-5 when cold; the strategy typically does a 1-3 shift and then a 3-4 or 3-5. If the Expedition transmission experienced a momentary neutral-out condition, there should be DTCs present in the TCM that will allow the tech to diagnose root cause, which is most likely valve body related.

lawdog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What problem? There is no PCM update for firm shifts in Sport Mode. If it were a mechanical fault, it would happen regardless of drive mode. The TCM learns the driver’s behavior and adjusts accordingly, so not every vehicle will shift exactly the same.

Never heard of a “looping” skip shift from 2-5 when cold; the strategy typically does a 1-3 shift and then a 3-4 or 3-5. If the Expedition transmission experienced a momentary neutral-out condition, there should be DTCs present in the TCM that will allow the tech to diagnose root cause, which is most likely valve body related.
The really hard/slamming 4-5 shift. I had it in my '18, and I took multiple techs for rides in it to show them it wasn't just a firm/hard shift. All were like, ooh, yeah...it's not supposed to do that. I had the PCM re-flashed multiple times and it would always come back. I've driven other Raptors, my wife's Expedition, and my Limited and they don't do it. Are you saying there was something about the way I floored it compared to other drivers that the TCM "learned", resulting in that slamming 4-5 shift? Doubtful.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The really hard/slamming 4-5 shift. I had it in my '18, and I took multiple techs for rides in it to show them it wasn't just a firm/hard shift. All were like, ooh, yeah...it's not supposed to do that. I had the PCM re-flashed multiple times and it would always come back. I've driven other Raptors, my wife's Expedition, and my Limited and they don't do it. Are you saying there was something about the way I floored it compared to other drivers that the TCM "learned", resulting in that slamming 4-5 shift? Doubtful.
You can’t re-flash a PCM that is already updated. All they were doing is clearing the adaptive tables. If the harsh 4-5 occurs in normal mode, there are diagnostics for that.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bjorn-dpc