Hard Shifts 3-4-5

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

docskeet1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have you guys tried unplugging the battery for a few minutes to clear out whatever the PCM has "learned" and get it to re-adapt to your driving style?
I’m not sure disconnecting the battery will do the same thing as reprogramming the powertrain control module. I had this done with my 2018 (TSB 18-2274) and it’s made a big difference in both Normal and Sport modes.

jabroni619

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I’m not sure disconnecting the battery will do the same thing as reprogramming the powertrain control module. I had this done with my 2018 (TSB 18-2274) and it’s made a big difference in both Normal and Sport modes.

I get that, and I’ve had it done on mine as well, but the TSB isn’t for 2019 models. 2018s built after May and all 2019s are already supposed to have it from the factory.

IHAVETWO

Full Access Member
Reaction score
RUN MINE IN SPORT 100 % OF TIME.SHIFTS HARD INTO 4TH WHEN LIGHT ON THROTTLE.I HAVE A 17 BEEN DEALING WITH IT.NO BIG DEAL.

BaseRaptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The Raptor shifting complaints are as bad as the Toyota Tacoma forum I belong to. It’s a 6-speed auto and everyone complains that the tranny is constantly hunting for the right gear. It’s all related to the programming by the power train engineers in an effort to squeeze out as many MPG’s as possible. Toyota has TSB’s to address the complaints.

RH 2019Raptor

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,
I'm new to this forum. I recently purchased a new 2019 Raptor super crew. I too had the hard shifting around 3-4-5. Took it back to the dealer. In short- No TSB, co codes etc. The transmission guy called ford hotline and they recommended doing and air pressure test and replace the main control assembly (part#-JL3Z-7A100-C) Not many problems of this around according to ford, but they acknowledged a few. Took a day to do and reprogramed back to the adaptive drive cycle. Shift really smooth now with no problems.

P4mnceBlue82

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My shifts arent "hard" but under light acceleration at low speeds the shifts in the 1st 4 gears are very slow with a pause in between shifts. During the pause there is a whining sound coming from trans. But goes away soon as gear engages.

Badgertits

FRF Addict
Reaction score
******** it’s a piece of machinery w/ 10 cogs & a bunch of moving parts filled w/ oil- give the thing a chance to get up to operating temps & for the fluid to expand into all the cavities/ring seals/solenoids or what have you.

Get a car w/ a CVT if you’re so concerned w/ “smooth” shifting- it’s a performance truck w/ a bunch of hp/TQ it’s not going to behave like a caddy.

Unless the harshness/flare/clunk shifts continue once the truck is fully warmed up & occur sporadically I wouldn’t even give it a 2nd thought.

Jtnuge

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine is a early build 17', had harsh shifting from 5th to third. Lurching from first to third. Got the reflash done, was great for a bit. Now, harsh from 10th to 9th. Downshifting into third. Upshifting into 5th. 1st to 3rd has not come back. This transmission is a brand new build in what 17'. Sure some bugs are expected, new thing to be built, program issues sure. But it is 19' now and people are having the same issues. Total garbage for a modern day transmission to shift this bad. I love my truck, but we should not be having this issue at this point. I'm going to get mine done again, soon.

christinrm

Reaction score
I have a '19 and 4th gear shifts hard af. Seems to behave different in diff modes too. Normal mode it shifts slow but hard, so much so that my body jerks forward because of the loss of momentum (almost like slamming on the brakes). In Sport mode is seems to just slam into gear really hard. And just like Sinz, it mostly happens on the first start up of the day, but not always. And when it does occur it eventually corrects itself after a bit of drive time. Also, just like OP, it mostly only happens under light/moderate acceleration.

I'm reluctant to bring it to the dealer because I feel it'll just be a waste of time. The day I bring it in I'm sure the truck will shift just fine and/or we won't be able to reproduce the issue.
2019 raptor: Mine is doing the same thing! It’s in the dealer for the second time for the issue. The first time they said it was because it learns your driving patterns and reset it… there is no way that was the issue but I just let them say that… it started doing it right away again… so I took it back 4 days ago. They still have it because they duplicated it. Mine does it on the freeway only…. It does it none stop honestly. It’s really bad.

lawdog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just sold my 2018 back to a local dealer...continued hard shifts/issues with the 10speed were part of it. Mine always had an absurdly hard 4-5 shift in Sport Mode, that never went away/awlays came back after re-flashes/new programming. I like the newer Ford programming less than the old...both my truck and my wife's 2019 Expedition started making audibly loud/"thunking" downshifts to 3 in both normal and Sport, and mine would also make hard/audible noise shifts sometimes from 10 to 8. It would also "stumble" through downshifts at times, more often in Sport. Because the transmissions are sealed units, Ford/dealers don't want to/can't do much with them, which is why you get told to re-flash it, it's learning, etc. I just can't imagine that my issues, and those of others, are nothing to be concerned about.