Hard Shifts 3-4-5

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cayenne

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Has anyone else noticed hard shifting and some lag when you are cruising with only moderate acceleration? It seems my trans if very clunky shifting out of third and in the 3-4-5th gear range. If I'm getting on it, I don't really notice it.

I know there was a TCU update for the 2017's but I haven't seen any mention for 19's... Looking to get some feedback before I schedule a service visit for nothing.

lawdog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I haven't seen anything specifically for the '19s yet, but the 10sp in the Raptor appears very much to be a work in progress. May not be a bad idea to get a reflash at next service anyway.

Sinz

Reaction score
just had my first service done on my 19 Saturday. I had the service advisor check and based on my VIN there is no pending update needed. I to also suffer this shift sequence but that is only on the initial first start up of the day.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
what strikes me about this is that we have a mix of people proclaiming buttery smooth shifts, and some complaining of harsh shifting. I suppose if you come from a land yacht, tolerance for firm shifting may be less than someone who may have a lot of driving in, say... a big block with an auto trans.

I wonder how the Mustang / Camaro owners are seeing this. I’m sure there are some complainers within those communities - and I don’t mean complainers to be a negative here. For us, it’s not everyone, but one thing that seems to be a uniting concept among the 2017+ Raptor owners is that the 10 speed shifting logic could be better. I had to really push to get the transmission programming updated, and I think it’s improved. Mine is an early prod 2017, but was held for over 100 miles of Q/A with at least one code upgrade. Maybe they fixed a host of potential issues.

I get periodic ‘firm’ shifts, particularly on low throttle and sport mode. Nothing that makes me want to get service.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
just had my first service done on my 19 Saturday. I had the service advisor check and based on my VIN there is no pending update needed. I to also suffer this shift sequence but that is only on the initial first start up of the day.

You have to have the dealer hook up the computer to the (whatever) tool and download the most current code. If you don’t tell them to do this, they will simply run a VIN check and say ‘you’re fine’. My local stealership did the same to me. 2nd time I told them - hook to the computer, download and install most current ( pcm, tcm, etc. ? ) code.
Then they balked again, saying they only did that for warranty issues, did I have a complaint. I made one up.

Sinz

Reaction score
Thank you smurf I will take it back in this Saturday, i know better but was in a rush for a christening.

OP
OP
cayenne

cayenne

Full Access Member
Reaction score
what strikes me about this is that we have a mix of people proclaiming buttery smooth shifts, and some complaining of harsh shifting. I suppose if you come from a land yacht, tolerance for firm shifting may be less than someone who may have a lot of driving in, say... a big block with an auto trans.

I wonder how the Mustang / Camaro owners are seeing this. I’m sure there are some complainers within those communities - and I don’t mean complainers to be a negative here. For us, it’s not everyone, but one thing that seems to be a uniting concept among the 2017+ Raptor owners is that the 10 speed shifting logic could be better. I had to really push to get the transmission programming updated, and I think it’s improved. Mine is an early prod 2017, but was held for over 100 miles of Q/A with at least one code upgrade. Maybe they fixed a host of potential issues.

I get periodic ‘firm’ shifts, particularly on low throttle and sport mode. Nothing that makes me want to get service.

I agree, I should've been a little more detailed. "Hard" is a very subjective term. I would say it is more clunky than anything. It would hold 3rd gear and then thud into the 4/5 shift. Compared to throwing gears on the 1/4 mile, no it's not comparable. I would say it's definitely a software thing, it doesn't feel to be mechanical at all.

Spike Spiegel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 18' does this, but not consistently. I seem to notice it when i'm turning from a stop light. I had my dealership look at it and they said there there were no updates for my truck.

LVsFINEST

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a '19 and 4th gear shifts hard af. Seems to behave different in diff modes too. Normal mode it shifts slow but hard, so much so that my body jerks forward because of the loss of momentum (almost like slamming on the brakes). In Sport mode is seems to just slam into gear really hard. And just like Sinz, it mostly happens on the first start up of the day, but not always. And when it does occur it eventually corrects itself after a bit of drive time. Also, just like OP, it mostly only happens under light/moderate acceleration.

I'm reluctant to bring it to the dealer because I feel it'll just be a waste of time. The day I bring it in I'm sure the truck will shift just fine and/or we won't be able to reproduce the issue.

jabroni619

FRF Addict
Reaction score
what strikes me about this is that we have a mix of people proclaiming buttery smooth shifts, and some complaining of harsh shifting.

My theory is that a lot of people are driving around in Sport mode expecting the shifts to be as smooth as they are in normal mode. While it would be nice to simply have the better throttle response without the harsher shifts, it's a packaged deal unfortunately.