Guys with icons ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

wanderfalk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think that like the old saying, a jack of all trades and master of none applies here. I am asking a tool to do something it was not designed for . So I will ask Corey to give it one more crack and accept that because if he can not do it then i is unlikely anyone else can.Then It is up to me to get the most out of my setup,find its strength and push its limits. Conversely i need to drive around its weakness.

I put a nylon quick tie on the shock rod and chocked it up against the body so i could drive some broken pavement sections and measure how much travel was being used.About one inch or so is my guess.if you measure how much actual compression travel there is on the shock shaft before hitting the rubber limiter it is about four inches on the front coil overs.

---------- Post added at 08:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:20 PM ----------

Now a interesting experiment would be to slightly enlarge the lower port and then valve the compression valve stacks soft and add the DSC system. driving the short high speed washboard open the dsc fully. then start cranking down the dsc in other situations. I also spoke to the fox about alternative springs but with so many variables you could just be handing yourself enough rope to hang yourself.

---------- Post added at 08:41 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:28 PM ----------

Are you running the RPG tuned 3.0's ?

Opening the ride zone port is a bad idea.
The internal bypasses, by nature of their construction, have very little damping at slow shaft speeds in the ride zone.
That's their Achilles heel, they are better because of their true position sensitivity, but are "loose" at low shaft speed/ low fluid flow conditions.

what do you think would happen when opening the ride zone port. i would think that a mushy body lean combined with a floating sensation is your concern. A lost of control on broken pavement with a unsafe side stepping on corners ect. I think in the most basic terms the oil does not have time to pass though the port at ride height when hitting the fast short chop. by the time the oil starts to pass though the port the shock is already in the rebound phase of travel. simply put it can not kept up.

---------- Post added at 08:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:41 PM ----------

I have the RPG tuned Fox's up front and I agree with all the statements on their ride quality... faster is better and the "thunk" can be a little worrisome until you get used to it and uncomfortable on the street.

I really hope you guys come up with a simple valving solution or something of that nature to create the "perfect" shock, however, after a lot of thought and some experience of being in different vehicles, I really feel it's not going to happen.

Sadly you are most likely correct,what is new is the DSC . Hope fully some could explain how the high speed and low speed adjusters work . It seems to me you could only effect the oil coming in out of the reservoir with a smaller or larger orifice .

wanderfalk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Exactly, trying to do too many things with to little travel.

Washboard, square edged stuff is high shaft speed.
Steady state cornering, smooth g outs, etc. is slow shaft speed.
All the dsc will be is a flow restrictor, restricting oil flow into the reservoir.
Same as what icon uses basically, but with an extra valve for high/low.

The thunk I think is caused by very little compression or rebound damping in the ride zone. Feels like worn out shocks. Once you get more oil flowing through the bypass ports they smooth out.
Mine are much worse since I blew the shaft seals out of both of my coilovers the other day. Hit a medium sized g-out in -30 temperatures before the shocks had a chance to warm up...

Did you rebuild your shocks with any changes incorporated?