New wheel and tire problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
Ford definitely puts a LOT more into making these wheels/tires CORRECT on delivery. My next one I take pictures of the stock wheels / weights so when they get replaced I can convince the tire shop not to worry about throwing 2 pounds of weights on the wheel. Getting discount tire to keep adding weights is like pulling teeth.

Highwayman

Reaction score
Each has their own preferences.... Personally as my last build grew in tire sizes from 32, 35, 37 and finally 40's.... 37s and up are where balance beads are the way to go.

OP
OP
C

cr23raptor1983

Reaction score
Gotcha thanks guys. I'll see what the road balancing does tomorrow when I take the set up in.
Could this also be the issue?- I hand tighten all the lugs, then torque straight to 150lbs. In the standard star pattern. Just thinking...

On my 35" raptor I did the same torque method and those wheels are smooth as butter.

Highwayman

Reaction score
You're wheel torque is fine....

Honestly, I never really saw a balance issue from improper wheel torque as a tech, just fuggard brake rotors and brake pulsation...

OP
OP
C

cr23raptor1983

Reaction score
Good to know just was double checking. I've wrenched on vehicles for 20 years , but that doesn't mean I can't learn something new. Gotta be a balancing issue then.

The rear wheel/tire setup is smooth. I'll just take the 2 front wheels off and have them re balance it. Found an offroad center with a road force balancer(they were static balanced previously).

Last edited:

JAndreF321

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I went to methods and 37s recently and had the same issue. I took them to discount tire and did a lifetime balance. They pulled them all, had to rotate the tire on the rim for one and add a ton of weight. The guy at the counter said methods are great off-road but they hate when people bring them in since they are always way off. I took the truck back after the first 5k miles and they did the rebalance, 5 wheel tire rotation, and TPMS reset for free under the lifetime balance. I’m sure I’ll have the whole barrel covered in adhesive soon, but no more shaking!

Space Ghost

Full Access Member
Reaction score
on my ranger i went to 33s (sounds funny now) and with the RTR wheels.

Had a similar issue, but turns out one of the wheels was messed up, switched to the stock wheels and new tires and it went away.

So-Cal-Al-52

I Love Fossil Fuel
Reaction score
Only certain Method Models are hub centric for the Raptor, if you buy a wheel with any other bore than 87.10, you will need the rings Kieth talks about. Do you know what model Method you bought or what the hub bore is? If they are not 87.1 then get the rings.

OP
OP
C

cr23raptor1983

Reaction score
Update! Truck is smooth as butter now. Road force balanced, put a ton of weight on the wheels(balancig), and ended up having to rotate the tires on the rims.. took about 3 trys I believe. Happy now. Thanks for the Input guys

Wheels are method 305 double black 17x8.5
37x12.50 nitto recon grapplers