Got the "Wrench" Symbol

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

wjoutlaw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Was driving home from work Sunday evenenig and the "wrench" symbol light came on and the truck went into "limp mode". I turned off the radio and AC rolled down the windows to listen for anything out of the ordinary. Couldn't hear anything. Luckily, I was on the backroads to my house with a 35mph speed limit. Since I was only a mile from the house so I kept going. When I got home, I turned off the truck and started it back up and the wrench went away.

Yesterday, I went to run some errands and the symbol came back on when I got a 100ft down the road, so I went back home. I looked up a few things on google and the first trouble shooting guide I found was to disconnect the battery for 10-15min. I did that and the wrench symbol was gone. I went for a drive and to run errands and the symbol stayed off.

I ordered a Foxwell OBD scanner off Amazon and it got delivered same day! So I hooked it up and there were no stored error codes AT ALL. Not sure where I need to go from here. I think it was probably an intermittent short possibly? If there was a stored code I could start fixing the issue or take it in for service.

I purchased the exteneded service warranty from Carmax when I bought the Raptor. When I called them they said I could take it to any Ford dealership to get looked at. I called the one closest to where I live and they aren't accepting appointments for the next six weeks.

I have a road trip planned for late October, so I would like to get it looked at before then, but with no codes stored, I'm not sure where to start. I'm at 32,500 miles so far so, it isn't really due for any major services other than maybe transmission fluid change?

OP
OP
wjoutlaw

wjoutlaw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Truck is completely stock 32,000 original miles with absolutely no mods at all. I bought it with 21,870 miles on it. The truck is pristine. It looks like the original owner only took it out on the weekends and it looks like it was never off-road at all. I have the fuse 27 relocation kit, so I'll get that done tomorrow.

I stopped by autozone to get the battery tested and it is good to go. I talked with the guy that tested the battery and he said that the wrench symbol could just mean there is some service needing done. I just changed the oil last month. I went ahead ordered the parts to change the transmission fluid, filter and gasket, so I'll go ahead and get that done when it comes in next week.

I'm not ready to get into the lead frame yet.

Last edited:

The Car Stereo Company

aka grumpy car stereo guy
Supporting Member
Reaction score
service wont cause that problem. lead frame will give you exactly those symptoms and more. and no codes. stuck between 3rd and 5th gear most likely. happens randomly, and will persist and get worse. fuse 27 wont help. but if you want to keep driving it until it shifts into first gear on the highway, go ahead. trans flush wont help either. first priority is lead frame. then check other things

OP
OP
wjoutlaw

wjoutlaw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good to know. I guess I'll get it done. When the wrench light came on, I was crusing at 40mph in 6th gear, but the transmission did cycle through all gears with no problems. I had a stop light and a couple stop signs on the road home.

Found extended warranty information for the lead frame, so I'll take it into the dealership for a look see.

Last edited:

Jhollowell

Full Access Member
Reaction score
when my fuse 27 started to go i go the wrench and went to limp mode. checked the fuse and it was still good but looked a little burnt. replaced it with a spare and made it home with no issues. I'd also keep the scanner in your truck and if it does it again, scan it before clearing the wrench. I've also had the wrench and limp mode due to a throttle position sensor fault but that was due to the pedal commander i was using, so thats likely not your issue.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Wrench indicator is a powertrain fault. Most generic OBD readers can only pull DTCs from the PCM; there would have been DTCs in other modules, such as the TCM. If you want to pull DTCs, download ForScan and purchase a compatible OBD adapter.

OP
OP
wjoutlaw

wjoutlaw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wrench indicator is a powertrain fault. Most generic OBD readers can only pull DTCs from the PCM; there would have been DTCs in other modules, such as the TCM. If you want to pull DTCs, download ForScan and purchase a compatible OBD adapter.
That's the feeling I got from my research. Since I found the information on the extended warranty for the lead frame, I'll take it in to one of the Ford Dealerships that can get it in quicker than the one that quoted me six weeks yesterday.

Also got the fuse 27 relocation done today. Pain in the ass!

Last edited: