Got the "Wrench" Symbol

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JamesK

Reaction score
Exact same thing happened to my Gen 1. Luckily the recall was still active and yes it was the lead frame. Ford had it repaired and all good now. Good luck with. Mine is a 2011 with less than 60k

OP
OP
wjoutlaw

wjoutlaw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well it is definitely not the lead frame. I got the wrench symbol again. The transmission was i 6th gear on the highway and went through all of the gears when I slowed to pull over at the exit. I hooked up the OBDII reader and still got no codes at all. I had a pedal commander type module installed. I removed it and the wrench symbol turned off on its own.
I still plan on taking the Raptor into the dealership for the extended warranty on the lead frame.

This is what I had installed

SecosAutoparts 9 Drive 9-Mode... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B096KMTVH3?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

Last edited:

The Car Stereo Company

aka grumpy car stereo guy
Supporting Member
Reaction score
ah, you didnt provide us all the details originally. there have been random cases of these "throttle performance chips" causing issues across all gens. i personally run the pedal commander 3 that i got from a vendor here and have had no issues. @Wampa had one in his gen 1 and on our wyoming event a couple years back, found he was having issues with it causing the same problems you are having. removed it and all was fine. as far as the lead frame, it will give you the exact same problems, and also will shift into 1st gear at random, and keep you in 3-5th gears. i would check to see if the lead frame has been done already on you truck. if not, yes, get it done. most times it wont throw codes and a restart of the truck will reset everything and it will work fine for a while.

OP
OP
wjoutlaw

wjoutlaw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ah, you didnt provide us all the details originally. there have been random cases of these "throttle performance chips" causing issues across all gens. i personally run the pedal commander 3 that i got from a vendor here and have had no issues. @Wampa had one in his gen 1 and on our wyoming event a couple years back, found he was having issues with it causing the same problems you are having. removed it and all was fine. as far as the lead frame, it will give you the exact same problems, and also will shift into 1st gear at random, and keep you in 3-5th gears. i would check to see if the lead frame has been done already on you truck. if not, yes, get it done. most times it wont throw codes and a restart of the truck will reset everything and it will work fine for a while.
Yeah I forgot to mention that I had that installed. I wasn't even thinking about it until it was mentioned earlier in this discussion. I plan on taking it to the Ford Dealership up in New Braunfels on Tuesday and have them look it up to see if the lead frame was replaced.

John M BUNMAN

BUNMAN-Adventures, Rescue & Recovery
Reaction score
Just FYI my Orange Wrench experience a few months ago. Hope you get it resolved asap

Thread 'UPDATE-2-25-22–The Dreaded ORANGE WRENCH DISPLAYED-'
https://www.fordraptorforum.com/threads/update-2-25-22–the-dreaded-orange-wrench-displayed.90316/

As long as your going to be in NB..Hit the Bakery….Amazing food

Jhollowell

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Same here. Randomly got the wrench and limp mode with the pedal commander. I was able to clear it a few times with my SCT tuner but the last time i hit a lot hole pretty hard and couldn’t get the code to stay cleared. Removed the PC and it was fine. I’m running the banks pedal monster now and so far no issues

All The Way

FRF Addict
Reaction score
My 2010 has had the wrench icon on for years but never had any shifting issues until the beginning of June when it finally decided to kill its self. I finally found a tranny shop to rebuild it. Ill find out how bad its gonna cost me soon.

OP
OP
wjoutlaw

wjoutlaw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, I'm about six weeks out from being able to get the lead frame replaced under the extended warranty. Supply chain issues and them being swamped with appointments are the excuses I got.

The wrench symbol has not returned ,so I'm inclined to believe it was the throttle controller. It was cheap enough to not really care about and it was a really fun add-on when I had it in race mode at setting 3.9.

I do have a cold-air intake and upgraded exhaust planned to install when I get the time. I do need to get it re-tuned to take full advantage of the upgrades.