Got Rear-Ended, Need Advice

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NE Raptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Silverbolt is right. There are three sections to the frame, it is made to be replaced easily. It only calls for 12 hours to replace the rear section of the frame, it lists for $6818 from Ford. Most likely the truck will not total even if you pushed for it.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
so maybe it is repairable after all. At this point I’ll remain skeptical but open minded- if it were my truck.

Pacific Wheel

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Take the pay out and drop it off at Kibbetech ;) . They're in the process of buttoning up a 3 link that retains the OEM gas tank. One of my customer's with a ZR2 has a truck that is near completion but Kibbe will be offering a very similar setup for Raptors. Should be around 18" of travel.
IMG_3545.jpg IMG_3546.jpg

OP
OP
S

sik jmps

Reaction score
Your body shop is full of shit. No such thing as a "phantom Raptor". There are no body changes from 2017-2019 Raptors. They likely do not sell a complete Raptor bed. You will need the regular F150 bed and have to install the Raptor bedsides. The rivets the factory uses are called self piercing rivets and do require a special tool. The tool in it's simplest form is over $10k. Not likely to find a body shop that has one. Pop rivets is likely how they are designed to be repaired.
This is helpful, thank you. Makes sense with what I'm hearing about parts availability.

OP
OP
S

sik jmps

Reaction score
My guess is that since your body shop is not certified by ford for aluminum work (assuming this since he doesnt have their tools,) they wont even talk to him about the parts. I just checked some part numbers in quite a few different parts interchange catalogs. - 100% the same bed part numbers 2017-2018 all the way through. Ford not selling beds complete is not something new, they typically dont for most offerings, this is why people seek out a salvage bed assembly, assembled by the factory like it should be. I happen to have 2 one in white and one in silver - would probably run close to $3k+ shipped to Cali. PM if you need one.
This is really helpful, thank you. I'll let my body shop know. And what you're describing regarding the certification is what I've come across as well.

The status right now is that the insurance inspector for the region (USAA, and the inspector has a good reputation, she used to be in the race scene and I've been told doesn't let shops cut corners) is calling the shops she personally knows do good work and have the Ford certification. The current body shop is likely no longer going to do the repairs, but he's still helping to find me a solution.

EDIT: My body shop and the USAA inspector couldn't find any salvage beds, but obviously this route works. I PM'd you.

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

sik jmps

Reaction score
so maybe it is repairable after all. At this point I’ll remain skeptical but open minded- if it were my truck.
Trust me... if I feel like I'm not getting a repair that brings the truck back to factory fit and finish, I will be writing some very strongly worded letters... and by that I mean I will harass every phone number, twitter account, email address and mailing address until I am made whole.

I should say that I have gotten 0 vibe at all that either the current body shop or the inspector for USAA has any interest in half-assing this. They've all been going out of their way to call around to find possible solutions that are factory level. When the pop rivet a whole bed from scratch option came up, the body shop guy was like "I'm not going to do that, this is a new truck, you deserve to have it repaired the right way." And at this point he's helping just to help because he doesn't have the certification to do the aluminum work, so unless a salvage bed works out, he's helping me essentially find a different body shop to get it done right.

OP
OP
S

sik jmps

Reaction score
Take the pay out and drop it off at Kibbetech ;) . They're in the process of buttoning up a 3 link that retains the OEM gas tank. One of my customer's with a ZR2 has a truck that is near completion but Kibbe will be offering a very similar setup for Raptors. Should be around 18" of travel.
View attachment 115275 View attachment 115276
While this would be rad, I do unfortunately need to be able to haul half-ton micro bins in the bed of my truck, so giant coils coming through the bed would probably not work out for me.

But it'd be fun to cut BJ Baldwin off in traffic with.

8WOOD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Damage is on two sides, the frame is bent behind the rear axle and I was told "not even close to totaled".

Each state has its own definitions for a totaled car that your insurance company will comply with, additionally insurance companies have their own set of rules that may be more liberal with what’s considered totaled by the state. The body shop is not the ones to tell you it’s totaled. It’s your insurance company.

OP
OP
S

sik jmps

Reaction score
Each state has its own definitions for a totaled car that your insurance company will comply with, additionally insurance companies have their own set of rules that may be more liberal with what’s considered totaled by the state. The body shop is not the ones to tell you it’s totaled. It’s your insurance company.
I'm aware of that, but none the less body shops generally have a pretty good idea of where the line is when they've been around a long time. Moreover this situation has been discussed with the insurance inspector for the region for a few days and they're aware of it and pretty clearly not under the impression that it's totaled either. So, if a proper repair doesn't work out, I'll escalate it, but right now it looks like NE Raptor up above might be able to get a salvage going.