Got +1 better MPG by forcing myself to not "turn off" the Auto Stop

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

goblues38

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Pretty much since I have owned the truck, I have been in the habit of "turning off" the Auto Stop as soon as i start the truck up each time.

Well, it was very painful, but I forced myself to drive my normal week with it turned on.

My week is normally 120 miles highway, and 180 miles mixed city traffic with frequent stop and go rush hour traffic.

With no Auto Stop, I would get 15 mpg combined, with it turned on I am at 16 mpg. When I am 100% highway, I can get 19 mpg @ 75mph. Not scientific at all, but the benefit is there. I counted on the way to work this morning. in 30 miles, the Auto Stop engaged 8 times. I would expect around 6 on the way home.

Not sure how much wear and tear 14 extra start cycles equates to. But I thought this was kind of interesting.

JohnyPython

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Ford sure, idling lowers your mpg but I’ve always wondered what restarting does to fuel economy.

The extra idling in the last few weeks has increased my consumption for sure and the snowy roads have as well. Using 4A or 4H plus getting the truck sideways doesn’t help haha

I usually don’t turn the auto stop/start even though I got an AP. I’ve learned to apply enough brake pressure to not activate the stop/start.

jaz13

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Our starters are rated for 250k cycles, so they are designed for the extra use.

Also, these are not the carbureted engines of years past that require a big shot of fuel a startup. Fuel injection is extremely efficient and the breakeven is about 8 seconds. Any longer than that and it saves fuel to shutdown.