Gopro Hero8 settings for offroading

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

M_NorthRaptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm trying to figure out what guys have their gopro hero 8s settings for best quality videos.

I'm not camera literate but gopro makes it easy to change settings so would like to know what everyone out there has their settings at.

All info is greatly appreciated

jondle

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would use 4k@60fps with image stabilization on.

60fps is double the framerate of standard video. Higher frame rates can provide smoother video in high motion scenarios. In addition to that, it lets you do "slow motion" at half normal speed without losing any video quality.

4k is getting more and more common, so I hate recording in a lower quality even if I'm not really utilizing it today. On top of that, it lets you digitally zoom (crop) to lower resolutions without losing quality. If you are really handy, you could also further stabilize the video by cropping to a lower resolution.

Starting with the Hero 7, the digital stabilization on the GoPros is truly impressive. I have a theory they are using the 5.2k camera from the Fusion (no the Max I think) to over capture 4k and digitally stabilizing by cropping down to 4k. I have a Hero 6 and I have the gimbal mount for it and I think the newer digital stabilization is just as good.

A gotcha from 4k video is it uses H.265 (HEVC) whereas the 1080 uses H.264. You need a video card that supports H.265/HEVC decoding, otherwise you won't actually be able to play the video recorded. It is pretty tough for a CPU to decode HEVC in real time. Ask me how I know....after struggling to edit videos for a few months until I figured it out.

Oh...if you want to do real slow motion shots, I would switch to 1080p@240fps. That will let you slow it down 8x without losing quality.

The Car Stereo Company

aka grumpy car stereo guy
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would use 4k@60fps with image stabilization on.

60fps is double the framerate of standard video. Higher frame rates can provide smoother video in high motion scenarios. In addition to that, it lets you do "slow motion" at half normal speed without losing any video quality.

4k is getting more and more common, so I hate recording in a lower quality even if I'm not really utilizing it today. On top of that, it lets you digitally zoom (crop) to lower resolutions without losing quality. If you are really handy, you could also further stabilize the video by cropping to a lower resolution.

Starting with the Hero 7, the digital stabilization on the GoPros is truly impressive. I have a theory they are using the 5.2k camera from the Fusion (no the Max I think) to over capture 4k and digitally stabilizing by cropping down to 4k. I have a Hero 6 and I have the gimbal mount for it and I think the newer digital stabilization is just as good.

A gotcha from 4k video is it uses H.265 (HEVC) whereas the 1080 uses H.264. You need a video card that supports H.265/HEVC decoding, otherwise you won't actually be able to play the video recorded. It is pretty tough for a CPU to decode HEVC in real time. Ask me how I know....after struggling to edit videos for a few months until I figured it out.

Oh...if you want to do real slow motion shots, I would switch to 1080p@240fps. That will let you slow it down 8x without losing quality.
huh?

i just turn it on.

zombiekiller

OG BooBooRunner
Reaction score
the closer to the ground that you mount the camera, the better the video will be.

at least for me, if I mount a gopro to the hood or the roof, the video looks incredibly boring. between my suspension and the image stabilization, the offroad video is about as exciting as parking lot video if I mount the camera above the bumper line.

OP
OP
M_NorthRaptor

M_NorthRaptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@jondle i will definitely look into adjusting for what you said. I know the camera is capable of making great footage just need some lessons on it haha. Thanks again.
@zombiekiller yeah I was mounting mine on the door facing either direction looking at the wheels which made for some pretty good videos. I used a ram mount suction mount and an arm, works good.
@Raptus hahaha, oh man would that ever make a unique video.