Help Support Ford Raptor Forum by donating:

Going To MOAB, where to start?

Discussion in 'Ford F-150 Raptor General Discussions [GEN 2]' started by misuracaf10, Dec 1, 2020.

1. misuracaf10

misuracaf10 FRF Addict

Hey guys,

Just decided i am going to MOAB the day after xmas for 5 days. I may be riding with my fiance and may or may not have another vehicle with me. I bought the MOAB 4 wheel drive book by Wells and it gives me a decent idea of the trails, but i am just wondering where i should start?

I am going to stick to mostly green trails to see how they go and to keep it safe because i am riding solo. and i do prefer the more high speed runs over the treacherous crawling type. I am just going for the views and the experience i have heard many great things about MOAB.

So do you have any recommendations on which green trails are a must do? For fun offroading and great views? Maybe there are some blue runs that arent so bad either?

Just wondering your recommendations as i do see the book tells me that the green trails can last a few hours which would be a good run for the day.

Thanks for you input

2. misuracaf10

misuracaf10 FRF Addict

also i have a 2019 with fox 3.0 racing shocks so i have an inch or two extra ride height over stock. not much but it should make a decent difference

3. GordoJay

GordoJay Full Access Member

White Rim is nice so long as things aren't muddy.

Greg Jerome likes this.
  4. 2slo4u

2slo4u Full Access Member

White Rim is great. You need a permit to do the entire 100 miles. If you can't get a permit or don't want to, you can take Potash Rd to White Rim intersection, turn right and climb the Shafer Switchbacks. No permit is needed. Great views

The other end of White Rim (Mineral Basin) you can access as well. Has some great switchbacks and drops down to the river

Along Potash Road, take the turn to Long Handle Arch. That's a decent trail. You also get to go under a huge boulder that has fallen. That puts you on top of the mesa with some great views

Anywhere in the Mill Canyon area

The guidebook will help. If you want to go deep into Canyonlands, I'd suggest renting a jeep.

5. jzweedyk

jzweedyk FRF Addict

Chicken Corners has some great scenery. Onion creek is also great, and the paved road out to it is beautiful along the Colorado river.

Greg Jerome and SSWIM like this.
  6. jakesford

jakesford Member

We did a trip through Moab before thanksgiving on the way back from camping in Zion, Bryce & Grand Canyon. We only had a couple of days but can't wait to go back, I would save a day for a UTV the next go.

We did the Shafer > Potash rd, nothing technical but still fun and great views down the switchbacks (pic is from the top of the switchbacks) Canyonlands is a great park tons to see.

If you are going to Arches NP you can go in through the backway through Willow Springs and avoid the main entrance / fee (if you don't have a pass). Short trip with some slick rock and deepish sand but nothing crazy. There is an area before you enter the park with a bunch of dinosaur prints that you can check out.

IMG_0224.jpg

Last edited: Dec 1, 2020
    JoeSC, Greg Jerome, codeman and 4 others like this.
  7. taco_drifter

taco_drifter Member

Rent a side by side for a full day or two.

mezger likes this.
  8. WillieFlo

WillieFlo Full Access Member

All the above, and do Gemini Bridges as well! You’ll be fine! Just don’t get an alignment done right before you leave for Moab......(long story). Before you go, get on your creeper and torque/check everything under your truck before you go, especially since you may be solo. Check your lug nuts as well.

9. 970rap

970rap Member

Not to completely derail this thread, but I am considering a similar plan for just after Christmas. My primary concern is weather. The average temps look similar to where I'm at in Colorado (avg highs in the 40s, which is fairly nice if it's sunny, 20s in the evenings) and Moab averages only 9 inches of snow per winter, so not much. I realize no one can predict the exact weather a month in advance, but how realistic is it to expect that easy trails (gemini bridges, long canyon, chicken corners, willow springs) will be easily passable while solo (which I assume means no snow, no mud)?

I would be going with my wife and young kids and the plan would be to do some on and off-road exploring, sightseeing (we've never been to the area before), and get out of the truck here and there for very short hikes/playing on rocks. It's about an 8 hour drive (after factoring in kid/wife-induced stops) so I probably wouldn't want to do this just for on-road sightseeing in the parks.

Thanks!

10. SSWIM

SSWIM Full Access Member

No problem at all on those trails. Even with a little snow you will be fine.

Sam

jzweedyk likes this.