Going To MOAB, where to start?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NMSports

Reaction score
If you want to do some crawling and not scrape, try the tower arch trail starting from inside arches national park. It IS wide enough, but wheel placement is crucial. Very doable. And then there's a huge arch out there that not many people can go to, followed by a technical sandy exit trail.

jzweedyk

FRF Addict
Reaction score
As the video says, it is Gemini Bridges "road". You enter off 191 north of Moab. Here is a big air down area on the west side of the road and a dry camping area. It is just south of the road to Canyonlands National Park. There are several trails off Gemini Bridges road, some are easy and some are difficult. Get the Moab 4x4 book by Wells. It lists all the trials and how to get to them.

970rap

Reaction score
Some questions, not all Raptor specific:

Trails - We'll do 4 nights, which gives us 3 full days. My general plan is to do one day for each of these: hurrah pass/chicken corners, gemini bridges/ long canyon on the way back, willow springs into Arches. Anyone have any alternative recommendations? These ok for a single truck on their own?

Kids - Any recommendations for places for kids to get out and mess around, climb on rocks, etc? I have kids 9, 7, and 4, so they're not going to want to sit in the truck all day, especially after a 7-8 hour on either side (from Loveland, CO). This can include both in and outside of the parks. It looks like this can be pretty much everywhere, so maybe I'm overthinking it, but was wondering if anyone had specific recommendations.

Tire pressure - Any recommendations for how to do the above trails? I normally stay around 32 PSI cold (20 degrees). I do not have the capability to increase air pressure right on the trail.

Thanks!

Last edited:

jzweedyk

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Those trails will be fine for the Raptor. I might think about going through Potash and then into Canyonlands Park and go up the switchbacks to the top and then down long canyon.

I don't have kids, but the "sand arch" in Arches National Park has plenty of places for kids to climb on. Other than that I have no clue.

For those trails, I would recommend 18 psi, but unless you give yourself a Christmas present of an air compressor, I would stay around 28 psi. It will just ride a little rougher.

jzweedyk

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Update on my post above. The national park service has closed the road going up into the park from Shafer trail (through Potash) for the winter. I guess they don't want anybody to go off the switchbacks if it is slippery.

ACE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Get a battery powered air compressor (even a harbor freight special) you can find a space for it. Thankfully I didn’t need it for me on my trip, but I helped an ATV air up when they punctured a tire (I also had a tire plug kit that fixed the puncture) at Chicken Corners.

Chicken corners gets tight sometimes especially at the actual chicken corners part-it’s called that for a reason! I had someone spot me in that part

mineral bottom road and mineral canyon road are raptor friendly. I did those 2 first then went to Shaffer trail, potash road, and did long canyon and Gemini bridges backwards waypoint wise.

I didn’t have time to do onion creek but I heard that’s fun and you get to drive through the water there.

jzweedyk

FRF Addict
Reaction score
We went up into Canyonlands National Park today. Beautiful sunny day, but a little cold, 35 degrees. After doing the park and a short hike to Mesa Arch, we decided on the way back to go off road a little. We did park of Hell Roaring Rim, first part dirt road, then it got a little more exciting. Not too tough, but since we were alone we took it easy. Fun.

Trail 1.jpg Trail 2.jpg Trail 3.jpg Trail 4.jpg Trail 5.jpg

dillard09

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I love Moab but I dont think I would hit it in my Raptor unless it was towing my jeep. Way to much fun in a built jeep. Moab is an awesome place for sure!!
I say get this it will help.

20201229_091835.jpg