Gibson exhaust review/impressions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

nikhsub1

FRF Addict
Reaction score
That sucks for sure... exhaust tones/drone can be very subjective though... I think what I would do in your shoes is have your muffler shop put in a couple of bottle resonators, would probably be a $200 job and if you did it there is no returning the system but I would bet that would cure your drone. Something like this: https://www.summitracing.com/parts/mpe-14419/overview/

Moodie73

Reaction score
Thank you for your post Guy. I've been on the fence about buying a after market exhaust, I think I will hold off for awhile longer now.

OP
OP
G

Guy

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thank you for your post Guy. I've been on the fence about buying a after market exhaust, I think I will hold off for awhile longer now.

We now know magnaflow and Gibson are completely unworkable from drone. I'm guessing AFE is no better based on the way it looks. They all look similar.

Ford commented that they spent a LONG time on the exhaust. I think they had a lot of issues working the drone out of the exhaust while providing decent flow.

Maybe the ford performance Borla variants will be ok... but what's the point? They don't make any power. The Gibson legitimately made a difference.... but you can keep it!

gentz002

Banned
Reaction score
i to bought just the muffler. having it installed tuesday. from my understanding others who have went this route not only saved a bunch of money, but you dont get the drone as the stock resonator is still in place.

Im hoping that is actually correct. Guess ill find out in a few days.

Santiago

Reaction score
Definitely a bummer to hear. I almost pulled the trigger on them.

Could you post a video of the exhaust at idle and under load just to give a reference for us? I want to hear how bad it is.

Supertuner700

Reaction score
Guy, Can you post the video of the drone? I'll go out right now and try 70-75 on the highway but I wanna make sure I hear exactly what you do.
The stock exhaust has three decent size weights/harmonic pieces on it.....I bet that was most of the work Ford did to get rid of the drone.

OP
OP
G

Guy

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure how well it's capture on the cell phone with compression. I also analyzed the drone. The frequency is 97.5HZ. So it's pretty deep. Play this with speakers that have a subwoofer to truly appreciate it.

---------- Post added at 08:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:28 PM ----------

Won't let me upload the video.

How do I show you guys?

Supertuner700

Reaction score
I'm not sure....never posted video's myself.
I going to try driving right now and see if I hear the drone. I haven't been on the highway since I installed it.

Supertuner700

Reaction score
OK I just went for a drive.
70-74 nothing but exhaust noise
75 exhaust gets loud. Not sure I'm hearing drone only loud exhaust from the tailpipes.
Guy are you in or near Chicago?
Worst Drone I ever heard was a SLP can on a skidoo, at high idle you couldn't ever get near the sled....it would literally shake your shield and your filling would fall out!