Exhaust combi

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RaptorWings

Reaction score
I have a 2017 raptor. I have a SPD trombone resonator delete paired up with a Awe 2FG performance h-pipe muffler delete. The sound at idle is great. Loud and throaty. Can hear the turbos beautifully. The problem is once I step on the gas. It starts sounding like a fart can vq. And the drone is just horrible at highway speeds. Has anyone done any other combinations with the SPD trombone? (FYI stock mufflers are way too quiet even with the trombone)

Space Ghost

Full Access Member
Reaction score
maybe try getting a different muffler than stock? I think one member here liked the sound of some off the shelf magnaflow muffler, but not sure how itll sound with the trombone.

I also think youre just never gonna get the sound right with these trucks. Spent hours listening to different setups and all sound mean at idle and honda civic at throttle. Very few sound ok at throttle

OP
OP
RaptorWings

RaptorWings

Reaction score
maybe try getting a different muffler than stock? I think one member here liked the sound of some off the shelf magnaflow muffler, but not sure how itll sound with the trombone.

I also think youre just never gonna get the sound right with these trucks. Spent hours listening to different setups and all sound mean at idle and honda civic at throttle. Very few sound ok at throttle
Couldn't have said it better my self
When I had the stock resonator and the 2FG h-pipe it sounded growly but was too quiet. Guess Im gonna have to sell the thrombone

Jetjock15

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Have the trombone with stock muffler. No drone, barely louder than stock. Been thinking about throwing in a magnaflow or Gibson but have all same questions and concerns

cloco

Reaction score
I have a 2017 raptor. I have a SPD trombone resonator delete paired up with an Awe 2FG performance h-pipe muffler delete. The sound at idle is great. Loud and throaty. Can hear the turbos beautifully. The problem is once I step on the gas. It starts sounding like a fart can vq. And the drone is just horrible at highway speeds. Has anyone done any other combinations with the SPD trombone? (FYI stock mufflers are way too quiet even with the trombone)
I have the trombone and hx muffler and I’m having a similar issue too. SPD is supposed to be dropping a new resonated hx muffler soon that’s supposed to soak up some of that sound and drone but think I’m just gonna try a stock resonator with the hx muffler or even try the ford performance touring. There’s some other feeds on here where you’ll find a good amount of people are having drone with the trombone resonator, myself included.

Reaper308

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I went down this road on my 2018 a few years back, did the “cat back” Roush race exhaust and and hated it three days after having it on pulled it off put the stock one back on the drone made me want to put a ice pick in my ear! Have tried a few other combos and ended up with SPD catted SS down pipes with Ford Performance by Borla exhaust but I switched out the Borla resonator and put the stock resonator in its place that gave me the sound I think sounds the most aggressive and as deep a tone as you can get our motors with out it being too loud idling and no drone which was important to me! Good luck gents on getting yours dialed in!

cloco

Reaction score
I went down this road on my 2018 a few years back, did the “cat back” Roush race exhaust and and hated it three days after having it on pulled it off put the stock one back on the drone made me want to put a ice pick in my ear! Have tried a few other combos and ended up with SPD catted SS down pipes with Ford Performance by Borla exhaust but I switched out the Borla resonator and put the stock resonator in its place that gave me the sound I think sounds the most aggressive and as deep a tone as you can get our motors with out it being too loud idling and no drone which was important to me! Good luck gents on getting yours dialed in!
Is it the touring or sport resonator? Idk if changes between the two ford performance exhaust. But if you still have that resonator I’m interested

Reaper308

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is it the touring or sport resonator? Idk if changes between the two ford performance exhaust. But if you still have that resonator I’m interested
No resonator was gone long ago, sorry.

realjones88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
All the cat backs sounds similar to the Ford Performance/Borla and that will get you the most sound improvement over stock (while keeping the resonator). Deleting the resonator can make it sound super raspy - something people like it, some don't. Sounds like you're in the latter camp.

Reaction score
I have a 2017 raptor. I have a SPD trombone resonator delete paired up with a Awe 2FG performance h-pipe muffler delete. The sound at idle is great. Loud and throaty. Can hear the turbos beautifully. The problem is once I step on the gas. It starts sounding like a fart can vq. And the drone is just horrible at highway speeds. Has anyone done any other combinations with the SPD trombone? (FYI stock mufflers are way too quiet even with the trombone)
My wife and I did the SPD Downpipes with built in adapters, no real drone unless you're at 80 mph or so, or towing. Cold start is a bit rowdy, and WOT sounds pretty good, sort of GTR ish, probably closer to a VQ but definitely better than one. Deep tone and throaty. Stock Mufflers, but the built in adapters REALLY kicked up the low end torque... People claim 50 WTQ on the dyno stock, we have just an OTS SCT canned tune for now until we do larger turbo's, so I'm not sure if that does anything to the numbers, but it definitely woke the truck up down low. A few months ago we had 400 lbs in the back of the truck, I stepped on it to pass a truck at 55mph, and it lit up the 35's which it have never done before. Worth every penny IMO. Just a short sound clip rolling into it pretty quick to not get wheel hop.. Any longer than this the wife would start yelling :lol:
View attachment recorded-26341824642.MP4

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
khunter