Gen2 reliability

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Aaron

Meme Corps Commandant
Reaction score
Might as well call it the Ford RapTurd. #Gen2BuyBack

dlbb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
this is my 9th ford truck in 24 years. at no point since i starting driving 24 years ago have i not had a ford truck. 6 rangers and 3 f150. only one had any issues other then a clutches and maintenance. and that issue was a spark plug blow out at 252k miles. rebuilt the topside with a lil extra love, resulting in a blown torque converter within 1k miles. rebuilt the transmission and drove it another 20K+. yes there are random "hangover builds", as well as a list of potential issues. generally i have had excellent luck with my fords trucks, partly due to meticulous maintenance and addressing the potential issues before they become an issues when able.

as others have said, buy the extended warranty and enjoy the truck. worst case u get an experience like msadmin with a buyback. best case u are like to 80-90% who have no issues except where is the next ride happening, or how far is the starbucks from my location. lol

crashmc302

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree with everyone else. Get a good warrantee and enjoy the truck. When I got my Gen 1 (2011), I had 2 problems that were fixed either through warrantee (leaky cab from a bent tube on install) or a TSB (axle chirp). Aside from an annoying temperature control gauge knocking, everything else has been minute and easy to fix. I posted here about a ticking under the hood before, fixed that with an oil change and an oil treatment additive. The truck was at 100k, so it was expected. From what I've seen on this forum, Ford has been pretty spot on about taking care of folks that buy their vehicles, at least this truck in particular.

As far as my track record with Fords, I've had an 07 F150 XLT that never had an issue. Sold it at 25k miles. Had a '04 Focus that didn't run for a year because I let it sit, started right up after a charge and was perfectly reliable before and after that. First truck in high school was an '88 Bronco. Again, aside from small maintenance issues, like a small radiator leak, it was reliable for about 200k miles until my dad rebuilt the motor from some worn pistons, I think. It's his now and with his meticulous upkeep, he keeps that truck and his '77 F150 running reliably. Both as daily drivers. My buddy's Gen 1 is at 130k and he's never had any issues at all. Same year as mine.

Point being, these trucks will last decades if taken care of right and again, Ford will take care of you too. For sure do what you do and do your pre-purchase checks and find a good warrantee for your own peace of mind. I did. But don't fret, you'll be happy with the truck.

kandewinn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Gen2 is too new to attest to its reliability. But, between my parents and I, there have been 2 Lincoln Navigators, 1 Ford Expedition and now 2 Ford Raptors, over 1,000,000 miles driven between them all, and the only maintenance that was not "Regular" (fluid, belt, hose, battery or ball joint) was coil pack replacement every 100K miles or so. That speaks to the brands overall reliability. If you ever find yourself replacing one coil pack, spend the money to replace them all, we learned that lesson at the first 100K mile vehicle!!!

cain072567

Full Access Member
Reaction score
which plan for 801 package , plan on keeping a long time so looking at 8 year 150 miles. I dont think i need the premium since i dont have 802a package. Thoughts please

MGD

Banned
Reaction score
Get the flood ford plan that covers FULL drivetrain. You will need it.
Question- if your truck does present many mechanical problems, would you still keep as long as you say? Need to weigh that side so you don’t buy a warranty up front that the next owner will ultimately use (you would not recoup those funds).

cain072567

Full Access Member
Reaction score
they all say drivetrain even the basic , thinking 2nd or 3rd option. I usually keep my vehicles 10 years or so

---------- Post added at 05:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:55 PM ----------

still have my 98 gnmc work truck, i worry about exp motor and tranny crap

Helopilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was driving home tonight and I discovered that my lane assist no longer worked! Just over 1,000 miles and my first problem... And all I could think was “sweet Jesus, MGD is right, all the gen 2’s are lemons!” I was so upset I snapped a picture when I discovered the lane assist didn’t work:

2017_12_20_19_11_11.jpg

:biggrin: