Gen2 reliability

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

paulny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My '18 is due in within a week or so. This is my first Ford in over 20 years and am curious about the Raptor reliability. I plan to keep this truck for a long time and am coming from mostly Toyota vehicles (Land Cruiser, Tacoma, Tundra). Therefore, any insight from Gen1 and Gen2 owners is greatly appreciated.

Last edited:

jaz13

FRF Addict
Reaction score
My '18 is due in within a week or so. This is my first Ford in over 20 years and am curious about the Raptor reliability. I plan to keep this truck for a long time. Therefore, any insight from Gen1 and Gen2 owners is greatly appreciated.

Someone did a poll a few months ago. 75%-80% had zero issues. The remaining had problems ranging from a drippy oil pan to engine and transmission replacements. The only issue that seemed to be common was the drippy oil pan. Everything else seemed to be one-off manufacturing errors.

14 BlackScrew RR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My '18 is due in within a week or so. This is my first Ford in over 20 years and am curious about the Raptor reliability. I plan to keep this truck for a long time and am coming from mostly Toyota vehicles (Land Cruiser, Tacoma, Tundra). Therefore, any insight from Gen1 and Gen2 owners is greatly appreciated.
Aren't you asking the question after the fact?!
You still got a week to read up on some of the previous post here on the forum.
you will be surprised on how much you'll learn, just by going through these old post.

OP
OP
paulny

paulny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Aren't you asking the question after the fact?!
You still got a week to read up on some of the previous post here on the forum.
you will be surprised on how much you'll learn, just by going through these old post.

I have a deposit, but haven't actually signed the paperwork which I told the dealer I would do immediately after inspecting the rig upon delivery. Ironically, I had looked at two other Raptors at other dealers and both had small dents in them which the dealer claims was from being delivered. Maybe so, but I am not 100% fully committing until after a thorough inspection. I have read several threads already about leaking plastic oil pans, misaligned panels, etc. This has me worried, but then again the reported issues could be a small representation of the total population.

---------- Post added at 06:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:39 PM ----------

My truck completely fell apart at 13,546 miles

haha, I doubt that but I did research your oil pan leak and am glad to hear it was fixed. Just curious, has there been a service bulletin for the leak and a new oil pan/parts implemented since? My truck was built on 10/29, so I don't know if it received a "revised" part(s).

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
knock on wood, I’ve had pretty solid luck with Fords, I think this makes my 8th Ford? it’s tough to recount them all but I’m a repeat Ford customer. I like the F150, Mustang, and a couple others, and I’ve had really good Ford vehicles over the years. I’ve also had a 1990 Ford Explorer I bought second hand in... about 99 - 2000. It was a beater and had seen a hard life but kept on running and running and running. It did nickel and dime me but really acquitted itself well.

when the first magazine reports came in on the the 2nd gen Lightning, I was looking to replace a Mustang, and had a dealer literally right next door. We exchanged pleasantries all the time and when they landed a 2001 Lightning, I snagged it. I had only one problem - A/C compressor about 6 or 7 years later. extended warranty covered all but $50. Otherwise, that truck was awesome. I only went to the dealer when I was too lazy to do service myself.

I’ve had the Rap on a couple long trips and she - is - awesome.

Based on some of what others had reported, and a super long delay at ramp 59, I spent an hour of inspection / photos, 50 or so minutes in the test drive, and another 45 minutes going over all the tech / functions. Some on FRF have scoffed at my persnickety nature but my dealer was helping me take pics, check stuff, etc. For this much coin, they got it.

spend the time and check over the truck thoroughly. My truck came with over 100 miles on the clock and had been selected for pre-delivery extra checks and they left the punch list in the truck. I posted the punch list they addressed here on FRF. go over the truck with a fine tooth comb, and accept it only when you are satisfied.

The oil pan and loose connectors on the coolant / trans lines are legit concerns, check them the best you can.

Once you’re satisfied, drive off and enjoy your new truck.

Oldfart

FRF Addict
Reaction score
knock on wood, I’ve had pretty solid luck with Fords, I think this makes my 8th Ford? it’s tough to recount them all but I’m a repeat Ford customer. I like the F150, Mustang, and a couple others, and I’ve had really good Ford vehicles over the years. I’ve also had a 1990 Ford Explorer I bought second hand in... about 99 - 2000. It was a beater and had seen a hard life but kept on running and running and running. It did nickel and dime me but really acquitted itself well.

when the first magazine reports came in on the the 2nd gen Lightning, I was looking to replace a Mustang, and had a dealer literally right next door. We exchanged pleasantries all the time and when they landed a 2001 Lightning, I snagged it. I had only one problem - A/C compressor about 6 or 7 years later. extended warranty covered all but $50. Otherwise, that truck was awesome. I only went to the dealer when I was too lazy to do service myself.

I’ve had the Rap on a couple long trips and she - is - awesome.

Based on some of what others had reported, and a super long delay at ramp 59, I spent an hour of inspection / photos, 50 or so minutes in the test drive, and another 45 minutes going over all the tech / functions. Some on FRF have scoffed at my persnickety nature but my dealer was helping me take pics, check stuff, etc. For this much coin, they got it.

spend the time and check over the truck thoroughly. My truck came with over 100 miles on the clock and had been selected for pre-delivery extra checks and they left the punch list in the truck. I posted the punch list they addressed here on FRF. go over the truck with a fine tooth comb, and accept it only when you are satisfied.

The oil pan and loose connectors on the coolant / trans lines are legit concerns, check them the best you can.

Once you’re satisfied, drive off and enjoy your new truck.

Do you have a link to your post? I did a search and couldn't find it.