GEN 1 GEN2 Rear Shocks on GEN1 worth it?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GCATX

King Dingaling
Reaction score
We bought the 2010 that had new Gen2 shocks all the way around. You could literally stand on the bumper and jump up and down and get almost no movement. The ride was horrible and jarring. On a stock Gen1 truck the Gen2 shocks are too long.

We put on some stock used Gen1 shocks and the ride was 100 times better. This is on a 100 percent stock truck.

Pacific Wheel

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
We bought the 2010 that had new Gen2 shocks all the way around. You could literally stand on the bumper and jump up and down and get almost no movement. The ride was horrible and jarring. On a stock Gen1 truck the Gen2 shocks are too long.

We put on some stock used Gen1 shocks and the ride was 100 times better. This is on a 100 percent stock truck.
Conversion rear mounts and new c/o buckets? Or stock mounts? There is a huge difference.

GCATX

King Dingaling
Reaction score
Conversion rear mounts and new c/o buckets? Or stock mounts? There is a huge difference.
All stock. Didn't know any better when we bought it. Not a huge deal. I took them off and gave them away when I sold my Gen 2. Then I saw they have conversion mounts. Wish I would have kept them now.

Jhollowell

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is the problem with the Gen 2 shocks on a Gen 1 conversation. Half the people will say it's great and it works and half the people say it won't work. I'm a fan of using the parts that were designed and engineered for my truck. Ford engineers know what they're doing. But do what makes you and your bank account happy.

@FishFreak the Gen 1 shocks are not monotube. There is an internal bypass tube which the shaft/piston/valve assy rides inside. there are no moving parts contacting the 2.5 diameter outer body. This is why i'm curious to know if the Gen 2 bypass tubes are the same diameter. They could be bigger due to there being more space inside, but did Fox/Ford do that? Who knows, but a simple caliper test would answer the question.

@eastreich if you open up a set of Gen 2 shocks i'd be curious to know the ID/OD of the bypass tube as well as the IFP.

eastreich

Reaction score
@Jhollowell I will absolutely post up the dimensions when I get them apart.

Also want to compare with the Fox 2.5 (front) and 3.0 (rear) internal bypass Dynamix shocks I recently had apart to revalve off our Polaris race UTV. Supposedly they are similar, but we will see.

Jhollowell

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just finished up the rebuild.

Front shocks exploded view. From left to right. Shock body, IFP, Internal Bypass & cap, Shaft assembly with valve and shim stack, Upper Cap.
IMG_6674.jpeg
Compression shims on top, valve, rebound shims on bottom.
IMG_6675.jpeg

IFP Diameter 1.820"
IMG_6676.jpeg

Valve diameter. 1.800"
IMG_6679.jpeg

Internal bypass OD 2.085"
IMG_6677.jpeg