Gen 3 Rear Coil Spring Bowing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

datazianguy

Reaction score
I have installed Air Lift 1000 kit and noticed my passenger side bag will not center to the top spring mount and done some digging myself and noticed that the spring on the passenger side is bowing towards the rear.

I have the bags at no PSI so I don't thing that is what is causing this issue but can anyone shine some light / wisdom on this issue?

Screenshot 2023-10-25 at 1.13.40 PM.pngScreenshot 2023-10-25 at 1.12.04 PM.png
Screenshot 2023-10-25 at 1.15.44 PM.pngScreenshot 2023-10-25 at 1.17.16 PM.png

Last edited:

Raptured22

Reaction score
I have the same problem with my rear springs. They bulge out toward the rear of the truck. I measured the fender to the ground and compared it to the front and the rear sits a half to 3/4 of inch lower than the front. I have a saggy ass. Anyway, I have an appointment at the dealer tomorrow to discuss the springs and the shock clunk/rattle issue.

OP
OP
D

datazianguy

Reaction score
I have the same problem with my rear springs. They bulge out toward the rear of the truck. I measured the fender to the ground and compared it to the front and the rear sits a half to 3/4 of inch lower than the front. I have a saggy ass. Anyway, I have an appointment at the dealer tomorrow to discuss the springs and the shock clunk/rattle issue.
Please let me know what you find! I am contemplating whether I am going to remove these bags (which will be a major pain in the behind) to take the truck in.

I am wondering if this could be a simple clocking of the spring but I will be anxiously waiting to hear what you find out!

Raptured22

Reaction score
I'll let you know. I am the 2nd owner of this truck so it's hard to tell if the previous did anything with the springs. I don't think he did but if he did, it is possible that he, or the manufacture could've clocked the spring perches in the wrong location. If the dealer refuses to correct the issue, I'll just buy the Eibach springs.
If your springs are bulging, they are defective. Clocking will not correct them. You will need a new set.

OP
OP
D

datazianguy

Reaction score
I'll let you know. I am the 2nd owner of this truck so it's hard to tell if the previous did anything with the springs. I don't think he did but if he did, it is possible that he, or the manufacture could've clocked the spring perches in the wrong location. If the dealer refuses to correct the issue, I'll just buy the Eibach springs.
If your springs are bulging, they are defective. Clocking will not correct them. You will need a new set.
I am hoping that is not the case.. trying to remove those bags will be a hell on earth haha.

GCATX

King Dingaling
Reaction score
Did you put the kit on? If not, just take it back to the installer. If so, I would jack up the rear, disconnect the track bar and shock then gently massage the spring with and 8 lb sledge.

I seriously doubt the spring is damaged, looks like something is just out of place.

OP
OP
D

datazianguy

Reaction score
Did you put the kit on? If not, just take it back to the installer. If so, I would jack up the rear, disconnect the track bar and shock then gently massage the spring with and 8 lb sledge.

I seriously doubt the spring is damaged, looks like something is just out of place.
i jacked up the rear and try to see if the springs were in wrong orientation but everything checks out. I ended up removing the bag to see if that cures it but still having the bowing issue. not sure what you mean by gentle massage with 8lbs sledge are you saying like tapping it around the spring to see if thing pop back in place?

GCATX

King Dingaling
Reaction score
i jacked up the rear and try to see if the springs were in wrong orientation but everything checks out. I ended up removing the bag to see if that cures it but still having the bowing issue. not sure what you mean by gentle massage with 8lbs sledge are you saying like tapping it around the spring to see if thing pop back in place?
It was mostly a joke. I will take a look at both of our '22s and see if they are bowed. I know the lower spring mount is funky.

Edit, so I went and checked both our trucks. Our driveway isn't level so one side of the trucks sits lower than the other. It appears the uphill side looks like your passenger spring, pretty much. I'd guess the more the spring is unloaded the more it's going to bow out due to the angle of the lower spring mount.

Last edited:

Raptured22

Reaction score
Please let me know what you find! I am contemplating whether I am going to remove these bags (which will be a major pain in the behind) to take the truck in.

I am wondering if this could be a simple clocking of the spring but I will be anxiously waiting to hear what you find out!
So I did get to see the rear springs on Ford's parts diagram. It appears that the springs are designed to bow/bulge out towards the rear. They were curved exactly like the photos you posted above. So the good news is, your springs a good, the bad news, it looks like the bags your trying to install, will not work.

ToadSmasher2K1

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
All of my Gen 3’s have looked like that. Both stock and Eibach springs