Gen 3 LP4 light issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MNLeadfoot

Reaction score
Hey guys I apologize in advance I'm working on limited electrical experience but I'm learning! I mounted some LP4's up on the a pillars and they worked great for about a year. My issue that I'm having is one night I pulled into the garage and noticed the side leds were flickering, not the main spots just the sides. Switch was not on and continued to flicker after truck was off. Didn't have time to dive in to it and noticed some water had dripped down on to the relay so I pulled the relay and left it at that. I tested the relay and according to the test the relay was fine? Checked all fuses and everything is fine? Plug the relay back in and nothing? Forgive my ignorance but I am learning and need some direction!

So-Cal-Al-52

I Love Fossil Fuel
Reaction score
I am not really sure what would cause that, I have LP4's on my A pillar but I didn't use a relay, I went straight to Aux 2 (15 Amp). I tapped my backlight into the DRL's. So it sounds like we wired up differently. I wonder if it has to do with the relay?

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
I don’t think the side lights have a separate circuit, but that does sound like a relay issue. Look for water intrusion in the relay

OP
OP
MNLeadfoot

MNLeadfoot

Reaction score
I don’t think the side lights have a separate circuit, but that does sound like a relay issue. Look for water intrusion in the relay
Ya I thought it was odd that only the side led's were flickering. I'm hoping the lights didn't take a crap bit we will see.

ToadSmasher2K1

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had a similar issue with my BD Onx6. Smurf and car stereo guy helped me determine it was how I had the relay mounted that was allowing water to get in.

Most relays need to be mounted vertical, with the wires coming out of the bottom to keep water from getting in. I switched mine from horizontal to vertical and haven’t had a problem since.

Mine was starting to melt also, so might check that as well. I had to get a new harness

IMG_3840.jpeg