GEN 2 Gen 2 vs. Gen 1 MPG

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

thatJeepguy

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I've got my own business to support so not wasting money on gas means more money for the business. If I wasn't concerned about money I wouldn't even look at fuel economy but running a small business is painful in today's economy.
I work in that environment too. Its VERY fragile right now.

FiveOsvt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I averaged with my Gen 1, 13-14 mpg’s on 90% highway commute. My Gen 2 has been sitting around 17-17.5mpg’s with a very similar commute. I do drive the Gen 2 a little more careless as it relates to trying to get better fuel economy. When I had the Gen 1 I was commuting 50 miles each way to work and tried squeezing every last mpg out of that thing. I did see my numbers go up a tad when I threw a 5star tune on it. Wondering if a tune on the Gen 2 would provide similar if not better results.

dj30417

XX drive an OG Raptor and a Winnie
Reaction score
FBA4ED1D-3D04-4F00-84CD-A2E36551427F.jpegThis is a real world look at a 2011 Gen 1, that spent the majority of her life as a US Fish and Wildlife Service truck. This is approximately 150,000 miles without being reset. Nah, 10.9 isn’t the greatest but y’all want reality. Fact is, I try to be easy on the accelerator (and the brakes) but then I smile or realize the great sounding truck leaving the red light is me…and I can’t even see the numbers on the dash.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
On my Gen 1 I average around 11 in town and have gotten as high as 16 highways when I use to commute to work taking it easy, but 50% more fun to drive then a Gen 2!
Spoken by someone who has clearly never driven a Gen 2. You lose what little credibility you had when you make a statement that ridiculous. Gen 2 and 3 drive like sports cars compared to G1, which is a slow land barge.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
When I'm driving a truck, I want to know that I'm driving a TRUCK........not a Prius. ;)
What you’re saying is poor performance makes it a “truck. It’s not the 1970’s anymore. Ironically, Prius actually aligns well with your theory. Poor performance, outdated, slow, and miserable handling to top it off. You’re in good company.

Last edited:

FiveOsvt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Spoken by someone who has clearly never driven a Gen 2. You lose what little credibility you had when you make a statement that ridiculous. Gen 2 and 3 drive like sports cars compared to G1, which is a slow land barge.
As someone who has owned both now, I will say this, the Gen 1 started it all and I will always love them, as far as behind the wheel feel, the Gen 1 just “felt” like more of a beast of a truck. The key word is “felt”.

There is no denying now though that outside of the exhaust note, the Gen 1 clearly lacks in the performance that the Gen 2 brings to the table. Although I joke a lot and like to stir the pot of “what’s better”, the reality is that cars have and always will evolve for the better(in most cases)…it’s like saying a 2006 Camry is better than a 2022 Camry, when it’s not even close. Sometimes people convince themselves because of that thing called pride and even sometimes just plain old stupidity.