Gen 2 to Gen 1.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

zombiekiller

OG BooBooRunner
Reaction score
Then why would you or zombie put in an LS (mind you, the LS hasn't been in production since 2013)? I thought the Ecoboost was god's gift to Raptors? Why not replace it with another Ecoboost? Why replace it with something "in the other direction?"

Thanks for playing yourself.
I'd put an LS or LT in my truck because I am not a blind ford or ecoboost fan. Ls motors, regardless of the age of the design can be built to make lots of reliable power. They were also in EVERYTHING, so it is really not that difficult to find parts at an autozone or a junkyard in mexico if you need to patch something up.

zombiekiller

OG BooBooRunner
Reaction score
Yes, I know there is more to the design of the frame then it being just “stronger.” My point was simple: if the Gen 1 frames are weak and garbage then we would have evidence of Gen 1 owners messing up their frames after all these years and we don’t have such evidence. Now that doesn’t mean that Ford didn’t and/or couldn’t approve upon the design of the Gen 1 frame because they did. But this is all a moot point because no one is having an issue with their frames.

You make a good point about the cabs.

I am interested in just buying a 2020 Gen 2 because at some point you have to draw a line on mods. I could drop another $20k or so into my Gen 1, but at that point, it is equivalent to throwing the money off of the side of a bridge. Lol I love Raptors, but I am not tying up super car money into one like you because I want to own a super car and a Raptor!

And it is not right for you to respond to my post on this thread, but not respond to my private message from the other day :)

eh, when you put the 20K into a gen2, you'll never see it again either.

I wouldn't have the kind of coin that I have into my truck if it wasn't staying in the stable permanently. every time i drive it, I'm able to relive some of the last fun conversations that I had with my Dad before his passing. If it was just a random ass raptor, it would've been sold before it ever got a mid-travel kit on it and I would have dropped an f-150 off at HmRacing for a full "faptor" luxo-runner build.

I'll have to go look at my inbox, I must have missed the pm. sorry!

D

Deleted member 17706

eh, when you put the 20K into a gen2, you'll never see it again either.

I wouldn't have the kind of coin that I have into my truck if it wasn't staying in the stable permanently. every time i drive it, I'm able to relive some of the last fun conversations that I had with my Dad before his passing. If it was just a random ass raptor, it would've been sold before it ever got a mid-travel kit on it and I would have dropped an f-150 off at HmRacing for a full "faptor" luxo-runner build.

I'll have to go look at my inbox, I must have missed the pm. sorry!

I am not dumping $20k into a Gen 2. I would just buy one and keep it mostly stock and trade it in after a couple of years.

My brother just passed away and I lost my dad in 2016. So I can relate to the sentiments that you describe. My brother went on several trips with me and it was some of the best time that we ever had together.

Lol I didn’t mean to get this thread off topic. So sorry to the OP!

Premise

Reaction score
As much as I loved my gen1, there is no way I could go back, gen2 is so fricking nice to drive.
I'm jumpin from a 2010 to a 17, so that's a big leap, as far as technology goes.

This is what I wonder if I would think. I only have a 17 XLT right now and never owned a previous F150, but have driven the last generation and to me the newer truck feels more polished, but I do know the newer style much better daily driving it. I was going to buy a gen 2 Raptor, but the one I found the dealer I feel wanted too much and had more miles on it than my XLT.

John813

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I am not dumping $20k into a Gen 2. I would just buy one and keep it mostly stock and trade it in after a couple of years.

My brother just passed away and I lost my dad in 2016. So I can relate to the sentiments that you describe. My brother went on several trips with me and it was some of the best time that we ever had together.

Lol I didn’t mean to get this thread off topic. So sorry to the OP!

Not like he responded yet so nbd imo.

Badgertits

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Then why would you or zombie put in an LS (mind you, the LS hasn't been in production since 2013)? I thought the Ecoboost was god's gift to Raptors? Why not replace it with another Ecoboost? Why replace it with something "in the other direction?"

Thanks for playing yourself.

LS3 still very popular crate motor, I Understand you’re trying to play devils advocate....but I wouldn’t want a Ford V8 in a Gen 2 Raptor since they haven’t been nearly as concerned or actively developing their V8 platform as GM- arguing otherwise is asinine, on top of that I’ve always preferred GMs V8s & have more experience working on em- smaller/more compact too.

I drove the newer Mustang GT 5.0 & GT350 5.2 when considering a new “toy” hobby car but didn’t win me over enough for a number of reasons & based on my research doesn’t appear that those coyote motors are nearly as stout/reliable as a GM LS/LTx - I don’t like GM putting AFM in their performance V8s....but since a cam swap is always too tempting in an LS/LTx it really doesn’t bother me much that can get swapped out or ordered w/o if you’re really getting a crate engine.

I wasn’t intrigued by ford vehicles much until they started doing bigger things w/ the EB platform, the power gains from a tune alone on the HO 3.5 + the broad low TQ curve & strengthened guts/crank made it more enticing. I would be wayyyy more tempted to consider a Mustang if they put the same HO 3.5 in it, for instance.

I guess what I keep trying to convey- why so interested in getting a Ford made V8 into a truck when they’ve obviously moved a lot more funding/engineering into developing better EB engines? If that’s where they’re putting their best efforts that’s the engine I’d want in my truck, not some lower tier after thought thrown into the lineup just to appease V8 die hards & have something to line up against a GM or Ram or Toyota- but it ain’t like Ford’s trying hard w/ those V8s- if they were really pushing em they’d be putting them in explorers, navigators, aviators, town cars, etc.

EricM

FRF Addict
Reaction score
LS3 still very popular crate motor, I Understand you’re trying to play devils advocate....but I wouldn’t want a Ford V8 in a Gen 2 Raptor since they haven’t been nearly as concerned or actively developing their V8 platform as GM- arguing otherwise is asinine, on top of that I’ve always preferred GMs V8s & have more experience working on em- smaller/more compact too.

I drove the newer Mustang GT 5.0 & GT350 5.2 when considering a new “toy” hobby car but didn’t win me over enough for a number of reasons & based on my research doesn’t appear that those coyote motors are nearly as stout/reliable as a GM LS/LTx - I don’t like GM putting AFM in their performance V8s....but since a cam swap is always too tempting in an LS/LTx it really doesn’t bother me much that can get swapped out or ordered w/o if you’re really getting a crate engine.

I wasn’t intrigued by ford vehicles much until they started doing bigger things w/ the EB platform, the power gains from a tune alone on the HO 3.5 + the broad low TQ curve & strengthened guts/crank made it more enticing. I would be wayyyy more tempted to consider a Mustang if they put the same HO 3.5 in it, for instance.

I guess what I keep trying to convey- why so interested in getting a Ford made V8 into a truck when they’ve obviously moved a lot more funding/engineering into developing better EB engines? If that’s where they’re putting their best efforts that’s the engine I’d want in my truck, not some lower tier after thought thrown into the lineup just to appease V8 die hards & have something to line up against a GM or Ram or Toyota- but it ain’t like Ford’s trying hard w/ those V8s- if they were really pushing em they’d be putting them in explorers, navigators, aviators, town cars, etc.

Translation- I'm a total GM/LS fanboy and I only drive a Raptor since it's so special (not just a F O R D) and most importantly doesn't have a Ford V8.

We know your viewpoint by now....

Rob_D

Reaction score
This is what I wonder if I would think. I only have a 17 XLT right now and never owned a previous F150, but have driven the last generation and to me the newer truck feels more polished, but I do know the newer style much better daily driving it. I was going to buy a gen 2 Raptor, but the one I found the dealer I feel wanted too much and had more miles on it than my XLT.

When I first starting hunting, I was diehard set on a Roush Gen 1 up until the day I drove a Gen 2. I make a living off V8 applications and understand the draw but at the same time I'm open to about anything, Even with flaws for me the second Gen is leaps and bounds better for my uses. Mine got bought in 12/17 and already has 69k miles on it. As both a daily and a fun run toy it's the perfect bolt on platform.

The only times I wish I'd purchased the Gen 1 is when I look at current selling prices. At the time they were going for a decent chunk less than they do currently in similar trim, so in theory I could have driven it a few years for 'free'. End of the day everyone here is an enthusiast and can buy whatever they'd like. In a perfect world I'd have both :)

I think I'm with @zombiekiller too on the LS swap. Every vehicle I own is Ford and Ford powered but if my 3.5 pops outside of warranty dollar for dollar you can build a better LS, a crate LSA would be pretty sweet in this truck.

Badgertits

FRF Addict
Reaction score
When I first starting hunting, I was diehard set on a Roush Gen 1 up until the day I drove a Gen 2. I make a living off V8 applications and understand the draw but at the same time I'm open to about anything, Even with flaws for me the second Gen is leaps and bounds better for my uses. Mine got bought in 12/17 and already has 69k miles on it. As both a daily and a fun run toy it's the perfect bolt on platform.

The only times I wish I'd purchased the Gen 1 is when I look at current selling prices. At the time they were going for a decent chunk less than they do currently in similar trim, so in theory I could have driven it a few years for 'free'. End of the day everyone here is an enthusiast and can buy whatever they'd like. In a perfect world I'd have both :)

I think I'm with @zombiekiller too on the LS swap. Every vehicle I own is Ford and Ford powered but if my 3.5 pops outside of warranty dollar for dollar you can build a better LS, a crate LSA would be pretty sweet in this truck.

Hahahahaha another true realist.

And to be 100% fair- I promise I’d put a ford rear end in there lol!!

Do people not realize that if I am a “GM Ls/LT fanboy” & personally have owned 9 GM V8 powered vehicles including 5 GM trucks that by adamantly defending/choosing this gen 2 Raptor & begrudgingly admitting the EB platform is legit that, “you’ve won” - if that victory comes by way of admitting that Ford V8s suck, you can’t do it. That’s fine.

Keep On hoping Ford will flush their entire game plan down the toilet & start trying to compete again w/ GM & Mopar & Toyota in the V8 wars. It’s gonna happen. I’m sure of it. I mean....they’ll probably put a V8 in their heaviest/largest most luxurious Navigator SUV first to start right? That would make the most sense. Yep.

zombiekiller

OG BooBooRunner
Reaction score
Hahahahaha another true realist.

And to be 100% fair- I promise I’d put a ford rear end in there lol!!

Do people not realize that if I am a “GM Ls/LT fanboy” & personally have owned 9 GM V8 powered vehicles including 5 GM trucks that by adamantly defending/choosing this gen 2 Raptor & begrudgingly admitting the EB platform is legit that, “you’ve won” - if that victory comes by way of admitting that Ford V8s suck, you can’t do it. That’s fine.

Keep On hoping Ford will flush their entire game plan down the toilet & start trying to compete again w/ GM & Mopar & Toyota in the V8 wars. It’s gonna happen. I’m sure of it. I mean....they’ll probably put a V8 in their heaviest/largest most luxurious Navigator SUV first to start right? That would make the most sense. Yep.

In all honesty, I think with the right attention, from the right motor people, ford's new godzilla motor ( laughable name btw), could be a hot rodder fav just like the the 428 ended up being. Both begin life as a truck motor, both can make big power.

That being said, why in god's name would any sane individual choose to r&d new go-fast parts for a motor that is to be used in endurance type racing/adventure? ( at least anyone that doesnt have ford factory support and bankroll)

Until there is something that can make really reliable power on ****** Mexican 91 than an LS or LT, I'm sticking to my gameplan.

p.s. - you can find almost ZERO in parts or sensors for raptor ecoboosts in Mexico. Hell, you can't even find a brake booster for a 2012 raptor in Mexico. ( yes, a small army of us tried to find one ANYWHERE on the northern half of Baja. No dice.

need a set of heads, or literally every sensor ever made for an LS? Every AutoZone has them.