Gen 2 to Gen 1.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

roscopeeco78

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I thought I would try out the Gen 1 and I can say that now I miss my Gen 2. Has anyone had the same experience going from Gen 2 to Gen 1

zombiekiller

OG BooBooRunner
Reaction score
what do you miss about it? (inquiring minds want to know)

One of these days I'll scoop up a gen1 to go with my gen2.

John813

FRF Addict
Reaction score
You buy that Roush Gen1?

Or that avatar looks really close to the one that just sold in FL.

I mean, the Gen 2 has better stock suspension, interior, transmission, tech and engine(if comparing to NA 6.2).

It's a true upgrade over a Gen 1, which is still a very nice truck.

If it wasn't "missing two cylinders" this board wouldn't of had a mini civil war over the Gen 2 lol.

Matt Delro

Reaction score
If you fell in love with the V8 I guess going backwards might be worth it, but like @John813 said the Gen2 is a true improvement. I’m also really interested in hearing why you swapped!

Badgertits

FRF Addict
Reaction score
While I know it’s a pickup truck @ it’s essence, but it’s a damn expensive ass one (used or new gen 1 or gen 2) & while not a “sport truck” its has the sportiest of intentions compared to most anything else in its class......so all that being said before you get into any of the numerous individual tangible upgrades/improvements gen 1 to gen 2- could you Imagine buying say.....a 3 series, a Mustang GT, a corvette, a Jeep Wrangler, a Cadillac, etc etc pick any damn niche/luxury/performance vehicle you want- but just try & fathom looking @ 2 designs only a generation apart- not like a classic vs modern thing here.....could you really see yourself picking the slightly older version that was heavier yet w/ lower torsional rigidity & weaker frame while wearing mild steel body panels just waiting to rot/corrode over the lighter/stronger version w/ an all AL body?

It’s really an impossible scenario for pretty much anything else besides a Raptor just because of the damn V8 vs. ttV6 BS- never mind the fact that it takes a SC on a gen 1 to match a stock gen 2 when you can load a $400 tune onto a gen 2 immediately after & raise the bar another 100hp/tq

I mean raptor crap aside, are people that enamored by a ****** Ford V8?

I guess so. It’s interesting to me to say the least...particularly b/c I purposely left my V8 truck (GM 6.2) for this Gen 2 Raptor lol.

quikag

Full Access Member
Reaction score
While I know it’s a pickup truck @ it’s essence, but it’s a damn expensive ass one (used or new gen 1 or gen 2) & while not a “sport truck” its has the sportiest of intentions compared to most anything else in its class......so all that being said before you get into any of the numerous individual tangible upgrades/improvements gen 1 to gen 2- could you Imagine buying say.....a 3 series, a Mustang GT, a corvette, a Jeep Wrangler, a Cadillac, etc etc pick any damn niche/luxury/performance vehicle you want- but just try & fathom looking @ 2 designs only a generation apart- not like a classic vs modern thing here.....could you really see yourself picking the slightly older version that was heavier yet w/ lower torsional rigidity & weaker frame while wearing mild steel body panels just waiting to rot/corrode over the lighter/stronger version w/ an all AL body?

It’s really an impossible scenario for pretty much anything else besides a Raptor just because of the damn V8 vs. ttV6 BS- never mind the fact that it takes a SC on a gen 1 to match a stock gen 2 when you can load a $400 tune onto a gen 2 immediately after & raise the bar another 100hp/tq

I mean raptor crap aside, are people that enamored by a ****** Ford V8?

I guess so. It’s interesting to me to say the least...particularly b/c I purposely left my V8 truck (GM 6.2) for this Gen 2 Raptor lol.

While the Gen 1 is a badass truck, no doubt, and started the Raptor legacy, the Gen 2 is obviously leaps and bounds better in a lot of very tangible ways. I would think it's pretty hard for anyone to go from a Gen 2 back to a Gen 1 after spending some time driving and owning a Gen 2.

If you guys really want a V8, just get a damn 200 series Land cruiser or LX570, put a nice muffler on it and call it a day. It'll be a better overall vehicle for similar money used (amazingly!) and last forever. That's what my wife drives and it's a very nice ride (the Magnaflow muffler gives it a decent sound too). :D

That said, if Ford does offer the 7.3L V8 (hopped up a bit) or the blown GT500 motor in a special edition Raptor, I'm going to want one bad. Not bad enough to pay ADM, but I'd pay $100k for it if that was the sticker price. ;)

Also, I traded in my 2018 GMC Sierra Z71 with the 6.2 V8 for the Raptor. Love everything about the Raptor more besides the engine, that L86 6.2 V8 is pretty nice. BUT, the 3.5 HO is not that bad. I do really like the low and mid range torque of the turbo V6.

SKS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I thought I would try out the Gen 1 and I can say that now I miss my Gen 2. Has anyone had the same experience going from Gen 2 to Gen 1

I will let you know. Sold the 2018 a couple weeks and I am in the process of purchasing a 2014 Gen 1 Roush. I really enjoyed the Gen 2 but it was giving me issues and I got tired of it. Good luck man.

rtmozingo

FRF Addict
Reaction score
With all the issue with the Gen 2 motor you can't say it's a better motor than the 6.2. I like the simplicity of the Gen1, no big screen, no driver assist ******** and only one drive mode.

It is factually a better motor. Better efficiency and power/torque, while being as reliable. The V8s have had issues - less than 1% of all Raptor owners have developed an issue with their TTV6.

rkwjunior

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As much as I loved my gen1, there is no way I could go back, gen2 is so fricking nice to drive.
I'm jumpin from a 2010 to a 17, so that's a big leap, as far as technology goes.