Gen 2 2020 Gear whine

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

alangsam1

Reaction score
i have 34k miles on my Gen2. Aroind 30k miles I started hearing a whine that varies with speed not rpm. It started very low sound and it has progressively gotten worse to the point the wife is asking what is wrong with the Raptor....
sounds worse when window is rolled down. 2WD or 4WD does not make a difference. please help with any ideas or if you've experienced similar

julien194b

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wheel bearing ?

If wife notice something, you have a real problem, usually it's the opposite, problem arrive before wife consider it :Big Laugh:

OP
OP
A

alangsam1

Reaction score
yes. the tires start to make noise at about 50mph and get louder but a different sound. gear whine makes the sound as soon as you get going.

fordfreek

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 2020 that ended up having the ring and pinion replaced along with all the bearings and seals. All covered under warranty. Supposedly the pinion bearing preload was incorrect , causing the noise I was having. My noise was throttle sensitive, would go away when not accelerating .

Lane2018

Southern Raptor
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ditto on the rear end. My 2018 was repaired under warranty at 44k